Cuisine at home Forums
Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? (/showthread.php?tid=155499)

Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? - cjs - 10-12-2013

What's on the menu for today for everyone?

Have 2 or 3 things to make today, so not sure what will be dinner, but I think I'll be adding fries to whatever....

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? - Harborwitch - 10-12-2013

Burgers tonight. I have some whole grain ciabatta, some bison and some venison for the burgers - might grind some pork jowl bacon too for a little moisture. And Jean's fries from yesterday. Spinach on the burgers.

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? - Mare749 - 10-12-2013

We have theater tickets for this afternoon. Holly and the girls are going to meet us at Applebees later. Bob gets home from Chicago tonight.

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? - Trixxee - 10-12-2013

Steak, asparagus, and "Jean's" fries....

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? - luvnit - 10-12-2013

It'll be Busy Day Dinner here, along with a fresh, homemade loaf of white bread and butter.

Busy Day Dinner is sort of a macaroni goulash with a bunch of garden veggies in it. Very tasty and comforting on a fall day

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? - cjs - 10-12-2013

I've been requested to make them again today also, Trixxee!

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? - losblanos1 - 10-12-2013

While in Mexico, Carylann ate beef shanks at an Italian restaurant that she just loved, so her request for dinner tonight is beef shanks. I found a recipe in issue #38 for lamb shanks, but I'll substitute beef. Goat cheese mashed potatoes and asparagus also.

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? - cjs - 10-12-2013

Blane, caramelized onions (if you enjoy them) is wonderful with the potatoes and shanks (cooked with the shanks) sounds like a wonderful dinner.

All this talk about shanks and osso buco reminds me I have a great dish for chicken osso buco that I used to use for catering - it's a great dinner party entree.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Osso Buco - a Chef's Journey

Tomato Sauce:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion -- finely diced
4 garlic cloves -- thinly sliced
3 T. fresh thyme -- chopped (or 1 T. dried)
1/2 medium carrots -- finely shredded
2 cans tomatoes -- (28 oz.)
Salt to taste
For Stew:
16 chicken thighs -- bone in and skin on
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 T. olive oil
3 T. unsalted butter
1 medium onion -- halved lengthwise and thinly slice
1 small carrot -- finely chopped
1 celery rib -- finely chopped
2 garlic cloves -- finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives -- pitted
2 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
1 small bay leaf
2 strips fresh lemon zest -- (2- by ½ inch) cut crosswise into fine julienne
1 tsp. salt or to taste
1/2 tsp. black pepper -- or to taste
For Gremolata:
3 T. fresh flat-leaf parsley -- chopped
1 large garlic clove -- minced
1 tsp. finely grated fresh lemon zest
1 T. pine nuts -- toasted

For the sauce:
In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and garlic and cook till soft and light golden brown, 8-10 minutes.

Add the thyme and carrot and cook for 5 minutes more, or until the carrot is quite soft.
Add the tomatoes with their juices; bring to a boil, stirring often, and then lower the heat & simmer 30 minutes until the sauce is quite thick.

Season with salt and set aside. Or chill - the sauce can be made a week ahead of time. Freezes will also. Makes 4 cups.

For the stew;
Heat oven to 325 F.

Pat chicken pieces dry and season with salt & pepper. Divide the chicken and floiur between 2 large sealable plastic bags and shake to coat, then remove thighs from bags, shaking off excess flour.

Heat oil and 2 T. butter in ovenproof pot over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then brown chicken well in 2 batches, 10-12 minutes per batch, transferring to a plate.

Reduce heat to moderate and add remaining tablespoon of butter to pot along with the onions, carrot, celery and garlic and cook, stirring until onions are pale golden, about 5 minutes.

Add remaining stew ingredients plus the tomato sauce and bring to a boil, stirring.
Add thighs in pot in 1 layer and return to a simmer. Cover pot and braise chicken in middle of oven until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Discard parsley sprigs and bay leaf.

For the gremolata:
Stir together the gremolata ingredients in a small bowl.

Osso buco can be made (without the gremolata) 1 day ahead. Cool completely, uncovered, then chill, covered. Heat, covered in a 325 F. oven 30-40 minutes.

Sprinkle the osso buco with the gremolata for service.
8 servings

Description:
"Made the first time for Camaraderie Winery dinner, May 7, '08"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? - Gourmet_Mom - 10-12-2013

William made a pot roast at the camp, so that will be dinner. Good thing, too! We have Homecoming at the church tomorrow, so I'm busy baking a cake, ham, and trying Alina's Potato Salad.

And what have I missed about the fries?

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? - luvnit - 10-12-2013

Mmmm.... way to go William!