Cuisine at home Forums
2014 Food Trends - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: 2014 Food Trends (/showthread.php?tid=163334)

2014 Food Trends - luvnit - 07-21-2014

Spam Fries!!! (I wonder who will latch onto this one ;-) )

[Image: Spam-Fries-Recipe-Video.jpg.png]

Ramen-Crusted Chicken wings

[Image: ramen-chicken-wings.jpg]

Re: 2014 Food Trends - cjs - 07-21-2014

I'm ready for both!!!!

Re: 2014 Food Trends - Gourmet_Mom - 07-21-2014

While I'm intrigued by both, the prospect of the fat and sodium in either is scary!

Daphne, I don't think there is any need for the flavor packet for coating the chicken, so the sodium would not be a problem. If it is called for, it's so easy to sub your own seasonings, that's what I do.

Don't see why the spam fries couldn't be oven-fried, so reduce the fat.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Re: 2014 Food Trends - Gourmet_Mom - 07-21-2014

Something to consider, Jean. The Ramen Crusted Chicken could be a go. The sodium in the Spam is a concern, even if oven fried, though. That being said, I will have to confess, there is nothing I love better than pan fried slabs of Spam between two slices of fresh bread with mustard! LOL!

Re: 2014 Food Trends - Mare749 - 07-21-2014

I like Spam sammies, too! Pan-fried nice and crispy. Although I have not tried it yet, I did see lower sodium Spam one day when I was in Wally World. Can't imagine how it would taste, though, since we have all grown up with the salty variety.

Funny, Maryann - that's the way I feel about pickled pigs feet. I grew up with the Nalley's gelatinous (sp?) garbage in a glass jar and now I don't like deli pickled feet at all. weird.

Re: 2014 Food Trends - karyn - 07-21-2014

My dad spent the first 12 years of his life in Hawaii, so he's a BIG fan of Spam. I missed that gene, apparently, 'cuz I'm not a fan.

However, the guys over at Serious Eats did a Spam tasting a while ago, and actually preferred the lower sodium to the original. Here is a link to the article. It's pretty interesting, even though I don't generally crave this particular processed food!