Cuisine at home Forums
Zucchini "Noodle" & Cannellini Bean Salad - Review - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Zucchini "Noodle" & Cannellini Bean Salad - Review (/showthread.php?tid=163580)

Zucchini "Noodle" & Cannellini Bean Salad - Review - cjs - 07-31-2014

If anyone is willing, I'd sure love to have some testers for this salad. Roy and I are having trouble staying out of it until dinner time.

One note to anyone making it - I used dark balsamic and of course it did make the salad a little 'off-color' but I really prefer the stronger flavor of the dark over the white. If anyone chooses to use the white, I'd really like to see a picture and/or how you like the flavor.
[Image: Juy31ZucciniNoodleBeanSalad_zps75301c51.jpg]

Zucchini “Noodle” & Cannellini Bean Salad

A Chef’s Journey recipe – 7/31/14
For a hot weather no-cook salad, this is such a vibrant and scrumptious side dish or, it could be a complete light dinner, also. Adapted from a Whole Foods recipe. You don’t have to make the zucchini into noodles, you can roughly chop and add to the salad, but the noodles gives the salad a uniqueness that is pretty and interesting.

Serves 4 to 6

Basic Salad:
1 medium-size (about 1 lb.) zucchini and/or yellow summer squash
1 1/2 cups corn (frozen, canned or fresh off the cob)
1/2 cup minced red onion
1 jalapeno, minced (seeded and membranes removed, it desired)
15 1/2 oz. can Cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Additional options:
1/2 cup chopped pea pods or frozen peas
1-2 hard-cooked eggs, roughly chopped
Other veggies that need to be used found in your fridge
Basic Dressing:
3 T. balsamic vinegar
3 tsps. Dijon mustard
3 tsps. Extra-virgin olive oil

Using a vegetable peeler or mandolin, cut squash lengthwise into long thin ‘noodles’ rotating the squash as you peel. Discard seedy core.

In a large bowl, combine the ‘noodles’ and rest of the salad ingredients adding whatever options you choose. Salt and pepper to taste.

Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour about half the dressing over the salad and gently combine. Add more dressing as desired, but you don’t want it soupy.

Keep any remaining dressing to add to a green salad.

P.S. Just had a thought...I think I'll add a few pine nuts (or cashews, pecans......hmmmmmm) at dinner time for a little crunch.

Re: Zucchini "Noodle" & Cannellini Bean Salad - Review - luvnit - 07-31-2014

I really like the new blog Jean! Looks spectacular! Crisp and modern. Great styling!

Re: Zucchini "Noodle" & Cannellini Bean Salad - Review - cjs - 07-31-2014

Thanks Laura - I'm anxious to really get into it.