Cuisine at home Forums
Twenty Weeks? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Twenty Weeks? (/showthread.php?tid=163779)

Twenty Weeks? - Gourmet_Mom - 08-08-2014

Okay, I've been to Raleigh and talked to a councilor at the state retirement office. Based on their estimates, I can retire November 1. But if you look at a typical school calendar, I'd be a fool not to wait until January 1, 2015. But I have the option. When you look at a typical school calendar, it's only two whole months and another two broken up with LOTS of holiday time! So working those next two months makes sense. I've been moved this year, so who knows? I won't do the paperwork until September. But it's pretty much a done deal this time.

Anyway, what prompted this post...other than to announce it was official.....

DENISE! HOW LONG DO I WAIT TO COUNT DAYS?!?!? I'M AT 20 WEEKS NOW!

Re: Twenty Weeks? - cjs - 08-08-2014

Daphne, congrats!! It's almost here. What I will find interesting is if and when all is said and done, you'll stay as long as needed for the best benefits and when YOU feel it's the right time - schedule be damned.

So many folks as they hit retirement time, stay a bit (or more) longer - maybe just because they know they don't have to. It's quite a phenomenon.

What the heck, if you can count that high - go for the countdown now!!

Re: Twenty Weeks? - Gourmet_Mom - 08-08-2014

Oh, I doubt I will stay longer! LOL! I have been teaching English only for the past 10 years. I'll be teaching math this year. It should be interesting!

Re: Twenty Weeks? - Mare749 - 08-08-2014

Daphne, I'm so happy for you that you finally got that pinned down. Now you can relax knowing that no matter what this year is like, you can be out of there by November. (Which is what I would be doing! Just sayin')

Re: Twenty Weeks? - DFen911 - 08-08-2014

Girl start counting! What a wonderful feeling isn't it? We started counting at 18 months! Of course we were relocating so we had to. You are only 4.5 months from retirement.

I'm so excited! If they will let me set November first as the official date, with the option to stay until January, I will. Otherwise, I'll stick it out until January. I'd rather set it at November with the option to stay. We'll see! Either way, the end is in sight!

Re: Twenty Weeks? - Trixxee - 08-08-2014

I'm excited for you, Daphne! If it were me, if you get a full monthly paycheck for November and December with all those holidays, I'd stay until January. Especially for December - two weeks of paid vacation!

Re: Twenty Weeks? - cjs - 08-08-2014

I forgot - someone gave Roy a retirement clock/calendar that counted backwards. We looked at that darn thing every other day, I think!

That's the way I look at it, Trixxee!

Re: Twenty Weeks? - losblanos1 - 08-08-2014

That's awesome Daphne! Shouldn't you wait until Jan 2nd to retire or would you get paid for New Years Day anyway?