Cuisine at home Forums
Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks Review - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks Review (/showthread.php?tid=165873)

Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks Review - cjs - 11-05-2014

Oh Daphne, I think you'll love this!!

This is a winner for sure!! I’d give it at least a 12. Here’s a link to the recipe, but I’ll also post it here, because it can be easily simplified from her method.
[Image: Nov4HoisinDrumsticks_zpscee2f186.jpg]

[Image: Nov4HoisinDrumsticksCrookneck_zpsd6934dad.jpg]

Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks

Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks

“Anyway, I brined these drumsticks so they wouldn't dry out. It takes 80 minutes to cook drumsticks in the oven, that's a long time. Without brining, chicken cooked that long can become dry. The brining also imparts a lot of flavor. However, I don't brine chicken pieces this size for more than 3-4 hours. In my opinion, they get too salty.”Noble Pig

For the Brine:
1/2 cup salt (I use Morton's. Other brands will be a different measurement)
1/2 cup sugar
7-10 cloves garlic, whole
2 cups fresh ginger, chopped
5 star anise, whole
6 cups water
8 cups ice, cubes
4-5 pounds chicken drumsticks

My note: I used my everyday brine (1 qt. cold water/1/4 cup Kosher/2 T. each: br. Sugar & granulated sugar) and added her flavorings, but not in such abundance:
3 large cloves garlic
1 1-inch piece of ginger
3/4 tsp. (liquid) anise flavoring (couldn’t find Star anise in stores) Watkins Pure Anise Extract

Swish all together and add drumsticks – the above was enough for 6 large pieces. That’s it, no need for all the heating and icing down.
------
For the Marinade/Glaze:
1-1/4 cups hoisin sauce
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced

1. In a large pot combine all ingredients for the brine except the ice and the chicken. Bring to a boil and remove the pot from the heat. Add the ice to cool the brine below 40 degrees. Rinse chicken and place in the water for 3-4 hours.

(from here I followed her method, but mine didn’t take as long to cook – maybe 50-60 minutes instead – I turned mine also just once, but after only 25 minutes.)

2. Meanwhile, right before chicken is done brining, combine all ingredients for the marinade/glaze in a large Ziploc bag. Remove chicken from brine, patting off excess water and place in the hoisin mixture. Tightly close bag and turn over several times. Let sit for two hours and continue to turn. Keep chicken on counter so it can come to room temperature. (Kept mine in the fridge for 1 ½ hours, then removed)

3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a large rimmed baking tray with aluminum foil and set a rack on top, spraying with cooking spray. Place drumsticks on rack, wiping off any excess garlic back into the marinade/glaze (garlic tends to burn in the oven). Reserve sauce.

4. Bake chicken in the oven 40 minutes on each side (a total of 80 minutes), turning over once. While chicken is cooking, add marinade/glaze to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes on low while chicken is cooking. (I didn’t simmer my sauce but maybe 10 minutes)

5. When chicken is done on both sides, remove from the oven. Brush cooked marinade/glaze on both sides of the chicken. Serve warm.

Source
Source: Noble Pig newsletter, 6/16/13 Recipe from: Created by Cathy Pollak for NoblePig.com | Serves: 6

The recipe looks time consuming but 90% is hands off – so very easy. We loved the flavor – the soy and vinegar cut the sweetness of the Hoisin while leaving a strong mellow (is that contradictory??) flavor to the chicken.

Re: Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks Review - Trixxee - 11-05-2014

Looks and sounds delicious.

Re: Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks Review - cjs - 11-05-2014

It sure is

Re: Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks Review - BarbaraS - 11-05-2014

Oooo! Oooo! Oooo! Can you do this with wings???

Barbara

Re: Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks Review - Gourmet_Mom - 11-05-2014

I bet you could, Barbara. I can't wait to try this, Jean! Thanks for reviewing it!

Re: Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks Review - Harborwitch - 11-05-2014

That would be fun Barbara. I was going to ask about thighs. For some reason drumsticks just don't do it for me. I love the flavor profile! But geeze the amount of ginger is frightening.

Re: Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks Review - cjs - 11-06-2014

I'm wondering if that is a misprint on the recipe - what I added was certainly enough.

While I think wings would be good, you couldn't do the long cooking time on them and that's what caramelized the drumsticks for me. Thighs? maybe. 'Couse we love drumsticks.

And, the brining of the legs allowed the long cooking without drying them out - as she noted in her remarks.

Re: Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks Review - Gourmet_Mom - 11-06-2014

I thought the ginger and star anise was WAY off! I'll be going with your brine method.

I forgot about the long cooking time needed to get the caramelization that makes this recipe so exciting. I take back my okay on the wings. But I may throw a few on the pan to see, but cook a shorter time, as an experiment.

Re: Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks Review - cjs - 11-07-2014

Sounds good - and they would get you thru the hunger pangs while the other is cooking and sending aromas thruout the house!!!!

Re: Brined and Glazed Hoisin Drumsticks Review - Gourmet_Mom - 11-08-2014

Forgot the wings! Darn!

Anyway, town store didn't have star anise of any kind. Bought all the other ingredients anyway. Looked at Cook's Thesaurus for substitutions, and Five Spice Powder was an option. I'm going with that.

Tomorrow's dinner is decided!