Cuisine at home Forums
Prime rib - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Prime rib (/showthread.php?tid=167091)

Prime rib - Gourmet_Mom - 12-22-2014

Okay, I just spent an hour looking at posts on here on how to cook this. I'm more confused than when I started! I had considered this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/sunday-rib-roast-recipe.html

But then there was PJ's recipe of leaving the roast in a cold oven overnight, turning up oven to 400 for a short time, turn off the oven and leave in oven unopened for two hours. Tent for a period of time for temp to come up to 125? A few diners felt Rare was too rare, so I need a light pink on the ends with darker pink toward the middle.

My roast is a 7.96 pound four bone roast.

Help?

Re: Prime rib - DFen911 - 12-23-2014

Ever since doing Paula Deen's recipe for Fool Proof Rib Roast I will never change

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/foolproof-standing-rib-roast-recipe.html

Re: Prime rib - Old Bay - 12-23-2014

We are doing one of these.

Re: Prime rib - cjs - 12-23-2014

Poor Daphne, you haven't found your favorite way to do a Prime Rib yet?? I know you go thru this every couple of years.

I'll add my method and hope you don't end up with too many ideas to confuse you more!

[Image: PrimeRib2.jpg]

[Image: PrimeRib1.jpg]

I cut the "fatback" (the thin layer of fat along the back) (normally referred to with pork, but really it's the same thing) off and lay aside. Salt and pepper the meat, a layer of sliced onions, some rosemary sprigs, then lay the fatback over the top - sometimes you have to secure it with a pick, which I had to do with 2 pieces. The fat melts down thru all....and the house will smell so good.

Oh, and the cracklin's - YUM!
[Image: primerib3.jpg]

[Image: primeribe4.jpg]

Recipe By: ForestHouse Lodge via a Chef's Journey

Trim and save fat for covering.
On each Prime Rib - Salt & pepper, sliced red onions (1 per roast), 4-5 sprigs of Rosemary
Cover with strips of fat

Bake in preheated 425° oven for 30 min.
Reduce heat to 350° and continue cooking for 2 hours - start temping after 1 1/2 hours.
Remove from oven when 125° is reached, tent and let sit for at least 20 min.

FOREST HOUSE COMPOUND BUTTER:
1 bunch rosemary, stripped & Pecans, toasted & broken - process to very small pcs, but not paste.
Toast together and let cool.

In a processor, whip butter and add the rosemary mix + s&p + blue cheese
Wrap in a log and chill for service.

HORSERADISH AND CREAM - mix together and keep for service.

NOTES : 1 prime rib = 15-18 whole slices. Best served cut in half.

-----

If you don't have a whole prime rib, I would adjust the time at 425 to about half and start temping after 40-45 minutes.

Good luck.

Re: Prime rib - Trixxee - 12-23-2014

I've only done it this way once because I've only cooked one since I found this method but my friend Heidi has done at least 4 of them and she said they have turned out great.

Start with a room temp roast. Liberally salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 500. Place roast in oven and drop temp to 475. Roast for 7 minutes per pound. Turn the oven off and leave it in there for 2 1/2 hours for rare. If you want it less pink I would roast for 8 minutes a pound, then shut the oven off. Perfection. Definitely use a digital thermometer.

Re: Prime rib - Gourmet_Mom - 12-23-2014

Jean, I know! It's ridiculous that I haven't got this down pat by now! I guess I turn into a nervous Nelly every time I'm to deal with this expensive cut of deliciousness! Thanks for calming my nerves, you guys!

I guess what I don't like about the whole 'turn the oven off for............' is most holidays, you need at least 5 ovens and one turned off really can be a hassle - at least for me.

Re: Prime rib - Harborwitch - 12-23-2014

I think I'm with Denise on this one. Luckily I can take the roast down to the restaurant kitchen and put it in the oven there and then I'll have my oven free for whatever else I'm planning. We just got a small Prime Rib, enough for the two of us and enough left overs to make another meal.

Re: Prime rib - Trixxee - 12-23-2014

Quote:

I guess what I don't like about the whole 'turn the oven off for............' is most holidays, you need at least 5 ovens and one turned off really can be a hassle - at least for me.

Valid point, Jean. Didn't think about that aspect, I guess because I've only cooked a prime rib for the two of us (Michael would never touch it - ha more for us), and the sides I usually do are on the stove top - mashed potatoes, creamed corn, creamed spinach, etc.

I think I've only done about 5 of them in my entire life. I wonder how one would be on the rotissiere on the gas grill?

Wonderful!!!!