Cuisine at home Forums
New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? (/showthread.php?tid=167338)

New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? - cjs - 12-31-2014

I don't know if we need this thread, but I'll start it anyway and if we don't post here, but post above, I'll just delete it.

I can't remember being so unorganized about food in my life as I am for today and tomorrow. Guess I'll just put everything from the fridge on the counter and go for it. Geez.

Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? - foodfiend - 12-31-2014

Jean, just having scallops, caviar, and duck confit means that you're CLOSE to being ready!!!

Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? - cjs - 12-31-2014

guess you're right.

Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? - Gourmet_Mom - 12-31-2014

Still tossing around ideas. I used my pan scrapings and some bits of country ham to make an old childhood favorite, tomato and rice for lunch today. It was just as good as I remember. Tonight, I may or may not make the stroganoff, but I also like Maryann's suggestion of thinly slicing it and bringing it up to room temperature and have a couple of baked potatoes and asparagus on the side. I think there is a package of mushrooms in there, so I may make a mushroom sauce? Recipe anybody?

Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? - cjs - 12-31-2014

I've got a lot of mushroom sauce recipes, but I'm sure if you think about it, you can just whip one up!

After such a whiny start (see above) I had one of the most fun and creative days I've had in a long time!

Started out - pork tenderloin thawed out, had to use.

Chili Saffron Honey(Tracie's Christmas present) Roasted Pork Tenderloin -
[Image: Dec31ChiliSaffronHoneyPork_zps31594f94.jpg]

Had jus from the Salisbury Steak to use as a base for soup and added things I wanted to use up in the fridge/freezer - potatoes, carrots, zucchini, Mexican Beef, yadda, yadda and ofter slicing the meat off the duck confit legs, I added the bones to the soup. Also, no cans of tomatoes, so added a can of tomato soup. Wow, is this ever tasty. We will have a bowl tonight to see the new year in.
[Image: Dec31GarbageSoup_zpsf8b0434e.jpg]

But, for our dinner toady -WOW! I'm just so please with how well everything turned out and a new recipe created to boot.
I didn't have any salsas, chutneys or relishes for my Charcuterie platter, so just started collecting and came up with a winner -
Cranberry & Apple Salsa
[Image: Dec31CranberryAppleSalsa_zpsb9fa6439.jpg]

Our dinner - Charcuterie Platter with crackers and 18 hour bread
[Image: Dec31Charcuterie1_zps4b597cb8.jpg]

I haven't made Crème Fraiche for a couple of years and I need it for tomorrow, so got my a$$ in gear and started some yesterday = man, is it tasty. Had to try a little with the cranberry salsa and duck and it was out of this world good flavor!
Cranberry and Crème Fraiche
[Image: Dec31CranberrySalsawCremeFraiche_zps63ab4261.jpg]

I will post the recipe for the cranberry apple salsa on a separate thread and I sure hope some of you will try it out and let me know the results (of course, for addition to another cookbook!) So, be critical.....somewhat.

Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? - cjs - 01-01-2015

Thanks Maryann -

Here's the recipe for Cranberry Apple Salsa.

Have to keep in mind I'm cooking out of my pantry and I had a can of Cranberry jellied sauce (I'm anxious to try with fresh cranberries, the texture will be very nice I think.)

Cranberry Apple Salsa- a Chef's Journey recipe *****

I needed a chutney, salsa or relish for a New Year's charcuterie platter and as I grabbed ingredients from the pantry and fridge, this winner of a salsa came together and is delicious Dec. 31, 2014

1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
1/3 cup died apple
2 green onions, minced
3/4 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustasrd
3 tsp candied jalapeno
or
2 tsp. minced jalapeno plus 1/2 tsp. honey
pinch of salt
2 Tbs chopped roasted pecans

1. Combine all the ingredients and taste for degree of heat you like – adding more jalapeno if necessary. Chill for a couple of hours to meld the flavors.

Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? - Trixxee - 01-01-2015

Gorgeous. We had king crab legs and garlic bread. It was pretty darn good and the crab was on sale for $13.99/lb. We ate 2.73 lbs between the two of us. Embarrassing.

embarrassing....but, darn good, eh?

Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? - Gourmet_Mom - 01-01-2015

Theresa, you're going to hate me for this....DD offered to pick us up some crab legs at Harris Teeter, but William declined. They are on sale for $5.99! I may still change my mind.

CHANGE IT!!! What kind of crab would that be, Daphne?