Cuisine at home Forums
Alligator Scaloppini - Review - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Alligator Scaloppini - Review (/showthread.php?tid=168852)

Alligator Scaloppini - Review - cjs - 02-23-2015

Oh Lordie, Lordie - this is a wonderful dish!! I don't know why more of you in this part of the country don't make (or like?) alligator, but just Wow!

Alligator Scaloppini with lemon-caper sauce over red beans and rice.

[Image: Feb23AlligatorScalopiini1_zpsc45b6d0e.jpg]

[URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/cjdacook/media/Feb23AlligatorScalopiniwredbeansrice_zps0ba23faf.jpg.html][Image: Feb23AlligatorScalopiniwredbeansrice_zps0ba23faf.jpg][/URL

Re: Alligator Scaloppini - Review - losblanos1 - 02-23-2015

I'd try that, it looks so delicious. Great job Jean.

Re: Alligator Scaloppini - Review - Gourmet_Mom - 02-23-2015

Drooling! Now to figure how to get my hands on some alligator. Last time I just got lucky!

Re: Alligator Scaloppini - Review - Mare749 - 02-23-2015

I would try that, too. Looks really tasty!

Re: Alligator Scaloppini - Review - cjs - 02-24-2015

Thanks - we were still talking about the dish after we went to bed!!

Here's the recipe if anyone would like it. Again, I just made 1/2 the recipe - and I sure can't find nice filets, but at least I can get larger than the little chunks I see in restaurants.

ALLIGATOR - Louisiana Alligator tenderloin scaloppini with lemon-caper sauce

Tenderized alligator scaloppini served with lemon-caper sauce

2 lb Louisiana Alligator Tenderloin, ¼-inch-thick slices, 2 oz. each
1 Tbs Paprika
1 tsp Cayenne
2 tsp Thyme, dried
2 tsp Oregano, dried
2 Tbs Garlic powder
2 Tbs Onion powder
2 tsp White pepper, ground
2 tsp Black pepper, ground
1 1/2 Tbs Salt
1 cup Flour
3/4 cup Canola oil, divided
1/2 cup White wine
1 1/2 cups Chicken stock
3 Tbs Lemon juice
1/4 cup Capers, chopped
1/2 lb Butter, unsalted, 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

1. Combine paprika, cayenne, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, 2 tsp. black pepper and 1½ Tbsp. salt. Set aside.

2. Place 1 piece of Louisiana Alligator Tenderloin between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with mallet to tenderize. Repeat with remaining pieces.

3. Season scaloppini on both sides with spice mixture. Dredge in flour and shake off excess flour.

4. Heat 2 Tbsp. canola oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil begins to shimmer, add 4 scaloppini. Cook until edges start to brown (about 2-3 minutes), flip over to cook other side for additional 2-3 minutes and then remove from pan. Reserve cooked scaloppini warm and repeat cooking process with remaining pieces.

5. Add white wine and chicken stock to deglaze pan and simmer until volume is reduced by a third. Return scaloppini to pan, cover and simmer for additional 8-10 minutes. Remove scaloppini to large plate and reserve warm. Add lemon juice, capers and butter to pan, whisking until butter melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return scaloppini to pan and coat with sauce.

6. Serve scaloppini with lemon caper sauce spooned over top.

Tips
1st made - 2/23/15, Sulphur, LA - wonderful flavors. Especially liked the seasoning. 1/2 recipe of seasoning is more than enough for 1 lb. gator. Will try on something else w/leftover

Source
Source: ©2013 Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board

Re: Alligator Scaloppini - Review - labradors - 02-24-2015

Still haven't tried gator. Was at a filming of one of Emeril's shows in Orlando, quite a while back, in which he prepared a gator dish, but even though I had a pretty good seat, it was just far enough back that I missed the samples.