Cuisine at home Forums
BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative (/showthread.php?tid=169278)

BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative - cjs - 03-13-2015

This is a recipe from a Chef's Journey...Home, so some of you have it, but don't know if anyone has made it. I got a hunger for it to go with our steak today and I had what I thought was a jar of Marinara from Laura. Turned out to be Roasted Pepper Salsa. So, went ahead with it and I'm really surprised at how tasty the salad is. I just may do this again.

If anyone wants the recipe - since it's about time to start thinking about side salads, I'll post it.

[Image: Mar%2013%20BBQ%20Macaroni%20Salad_zpsxawlkysc.jpg]

The added bonus for this salad is I just made 1/2 the recipe and still got two nice bowls out of it for 2 dinners!! a good thing - one will stay in the fridge so someone won't be tempted to go overboard.....

P.S. - full disclosure: had some leftover kidney beans in fridge, so added them. recipe doesn't call for, but what the heck.

Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative - Mare749 - 03-13-2015

Jean, I have made your recipe from A Chef's Journey...Home and my family loved it. There was another recipe you gave me one time for a pasta salad that you used to use for catering and I can't remember the name of it but the family really went wild over that one because it had cheese in it and I'm thinking it might have had pepperoni, too.

Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative - cjs - 03-13-2015

I think it's this one, Maryann - Man, I used to have to make this one a lot!! haven't made now forever!

* Exported from MasterCook *

ANTIPASTO TORTELLINI SALAD

1 package cheese tortellini -- fresh or frozen, 12 oz.
4 ounces Salami -- chopped
4 ounces provolone cheese -- cut into 2X1/4X1/4" strips
1 can whole kernel corn -- (11 oz.)
1 package frozen spinach -- thawed
1 jar marinated artichoke heart -- drained
1 can ripe olives -- pitted
1 1/2 cups Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 ounces Parmesan cheese -- grated
1 jar diced pimientos -- drained

Cook tortellini to desired doneness. Drain; rinse with cold water.

In a very large bowl, combine tortellini with salami, provolone, corn, spinach, artichoke hearts & 1 cup of the olives.
In a small bowl, combine dressing, Dijon and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese; blend well.
Pour dressing over salad; toss gently.

Top with remaining olives and Parmesan cheese.
Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours to blend flavors.
Just before serving, garnish w/pimientos and other garnishes.

Yield:
"3 quarts"

Description:
"This is a wonderful buffet dish. It was the most requested salad during my catering days."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative - Gourmet_Mom - 03-13-2015

I don't remember seeing this recipe. Thanks, Jean! I'll look,for the other one, also!

Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative - Mare749 - 03-13-2015

Yes, that's the one! I just didn't remember the tortellini part. I made that for a large family gathering and it was the hit of the party. I'm going to keep this recipe on my desk so that I remember to make it for my dad's birthday party in May.

Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative - karyn - 03-14-2015

That looks delicious! It's been copied and saved.

Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative - Gourmet_Mom - 03-14-2015

Jean, do you leave the artichoke hearts whole? And I prefer black olives. Does it matter?

Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative - cjs - 03-15-2015

The artichokes, I rough chop and I normally used Kalamata or a small can of sliced black olives.

Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative - Gourmet_Mom - 03-15-2015

That's what I figured. Thanks, Jean!