Cuisine at home Forums
Freezer Clean-out Time - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Freezer Clean-out Time (/showthread.php?tid=170138)

Freezer Clean-out Time - cjs - 04-22-2015

I’m not admitting this on any other “social media” - but….
Since we’re winding down on this trip, I took everything out of the freezer and I could not believe what all I have in there. I won’t do as I did a couple years ago and list everything, but suffice to say – we could probably live out of it for 2 months!!

The bad part is, I will be making dishes I can’t possible duplicate as in the dish we had today – a dish from Noble Pig’s blog: Skillet Bowtie Bacon-Cabbage-Ham-Mushroom Pasta.
But, I don’t have Bowtie pasta, bacon, or ham, or sour cream… Here’s the recipe and I think the original would be very tasty, but with the revisions I had to make, I think it was wonderful!! I made kind of 1/2 a recipe of the below -

Skillet Bowtie Bacon-Cabbage-Ham-Mushroom-Leek Pasta – Altered to fit our ingredients
Author: Noble Pig, 12/28/12

1/2 lb bowtie pasta, dry (I used 4 oz. Spaghetti Rigati)
6 slices thick cut bacon, diced (I used 1/4 cup prosciutto bits)
4 leeks, white parts only, sliced (no leeks, I used 1/2 on onion
8 oz sliced mushrooms (I used dried morels and porcini)
2 cups leftover ham, cubed(no ham, used ~2 cups seasoned alligator bites a cook gave me in Louisiana and I froze)
8 Tbs butter (~ 3 T. clarified butter from freezer)
1/2 head green cabbage, shredded (used green)
1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded(no purple- didn’t use)
----------
Garnish with:
freshly ground black pepper (added Truffle Salt – great addition of musky flavor.)
dollop of sour cream (had none – not needed)

1. Make pasta according to package directions. Let sit in the water to keep warm.

Kind of bastardized the method from here, but pretty much close:

2. Saute bacon over medium heat until slightly brown. Add leeks and continue to saute for about 5 minutes more. Add mushrooms and ham and cook until done. Remove from pan.

3. Without wiping the pan, melt butter and add cabbage. Cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Add bacon-ham-mushroom mixture to the cabbage as well as bowtie pasta. Toss together and serve immediately.
serves 6

Onions, reconstituted morels and porcini mushrooms
[Image: Apr%2022%20Alligator%20Mushroom%20Pasta%...jtcwyk.jpg]

Cabbage and sautéed alligator added to the onion mixture -
[Image: Apr%2022%20Alligator%20mujshroom%20pasta...yt49vo.jpg]

[Image: Apr%2022%20Alligator%20mushroom%20pasta%...z2sfuh.jpg]

What a great dish!! And, because we have so many goodies in the freezer, don’t think we’re going out for Mexican tonight after all. In fact we may not have dinner at all…also found some Vanilla ice cream in the freezer and I have bourbon, maple syrup and peanut butter….know where I’m going?????????????? Probably will be our dinner.
[Image: Jun%2014%20P.Butter%20Bourbon%20Milkshak...kw8cju.jpg]

Piddle, I just read what I wrote and it would be a good addition for the traveling blog with the recipes included. So, guess I will admit to this on 'social media'

Peanut Butter Bourbon Milkshake*****

2 oz bourbon
1/2 oz maple syrup
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup vanilla ice cream (we used yogurt)
1 cup of ice cubes (or use however many to make as thick a shake as you prefer)

1. Combine all ingred. in a blender, and blend until fully incorporated and frothy.

Re: Freezer Clean-out Time - Gourmet_Mom - 04-22-2015

Good gracious, Jean! Your dish looks great! Your dinner is sinful! LOL!

Re: Freezer Clean-out Time - Trixxee - 04-22-2015

Looks great! My friend Joanna is making that Noble Pig recipe tonight. They love it.

Re: Freezer Clean-out Time - Mare749 - 04-22-2015

It does look good. That's my kind of cooking.