Cuisine at home Forums
A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! (/showthread.php?tid=173699)

A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! - cjs - 11-01-2015

A confession after 75 years!!!! Geez, I can’t believe this, but I have never put a pickle on a sandwich or burger. This morning I saw a recipe on about.com – Derrick Riches, the Grilling & Barbecues ‘Expert’ and tried it for lunch today. A Brat Burger and it was one of the best burgers I’ve tasted AND I put pickles AND sauerkraut (another rare occurrence for me!) on it along with deli mustard. That’s it and it was great! I got 4 patties out of ‘skinning’ 4 brats and making patties and drizzling (wait for it!!) jalapeno syrup over the patties as they fry. I think “a pickle on a burger monster” has been created! Wine recommendation? “If it grows together, it goes together” – so, we tried a Gewurtzminer and it went perfectly.

[Image: Oct%2031%20Brat%20Burger_zpsi3drjbaz.jpg]
(If I'd known it was going to be so good, I'd have used a better bun!)

Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! - losblanos1 - 11-01-2015

That's awesome Jean, maybe you're ready for a Cubano now.

Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! - Mare749 - 11-01-2015

Jean, that looks awesome. That's a dill pickle, right? What a great idea to make your own burger from a brat!

Isn't it fun to discover that we like something on a sandwich that we never thought of trying before. I didn't used to think much beyond some mustard or mayo. In recent years, I've discovered that I love "banh mi" flavors and always add vegetables to my sandwiches.

Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! - Old Bay - 11-01-2015

I'm so proud of you for coming out of the closet!! Your culinary life is now complete. Your next cookbook will be titled, "Pickles & Kraut, A Life Fulfilled". This is truly "A Chefs Journey Home".

Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! - losblanos1 - 11-01-2015

lol Bill.

Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! - Gourmet_Mom - 11-01-2015

Bill, that was inspired!!!!

Jean, welcome to the new world of sauerkraut! I just joined, too! And great idea about partying them!

Maryann, if I remember from another thread, Jean said she planned to use bread and butter pickles, but I'm not sure?

Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! - DFen911 - 11-01-2015

I just got done making another batch of kraut. And once you make your own there is no going back

Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! - karyn - 11-01-2015

Jean, I have become increasingly enamored with pickled anything on almost everything recently...watch out!!

Bill, you are too funny!!

Daphne, have you shared your kraut recipe? I'd love to give that a try...I've been doing quick/fresh pickles, not fermented ones. TIA!

Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! - labradors - 11-01-2015

Still don't like pickles on burgers (or much else) but they are necessary for Cubanos and banh mi.

Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! - Gourmet_Mom - 11-01-2015

Karyn, I'm not making the sauerkraut. It was store bought. I just added it to the liquid and onions in Jean's Beer Brat Recipe after I took out the brats to grill them to crisp the skin. It was so good!