Cuisine at home Forums
Anova Precision Cooker - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Anova Precision Cooker (/showthread.php?tid=174705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - BarbaraS - 02-11-2016

I'm trying to figure out how to do a filet AND the lobster tail at the same time, sort of.

Can I cook the tail along with the filet at 135, then take the steak out and change the temp up to 141 for the tail? How much longer do you suppose I should cook the tail?

Anyone?

Barbara

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 02-11-2016

If I were to do this, I think I would do this.
After removing the steak, turn the heat up for the lobster. By the time you sear the steak and let it rest, I would remove the lobster - it would 'almost' be there if not be where you want it. Better a tad under than over cooked lobster.

Jean,

I was also thinking that I could cook them simultaneously for a little while at 135 and then up the temp to 141 to finish off the tail. But for how long is the question.

Barbara

First off - how thick is your steak?? That will start you on the length of time.

Haven't picked it up yet - hoping for 1 1/2", no thicker than 2".

Barbara

You kind of answered your own question in another posting, Barbara -

"The filets came out FANTASTIC!! The best I've ever done! I did them at 132 degrees for almost 2 1/2 hours and then seared them for 1 1/2 minutes per side in a little butter in a cast iron pan. Hubby cut into his and was amazed at the uniformity of color. I was also blown away by the soft texture of the meat. Next time I'll do them a little more done at 135."

Or for a 2” steak, I did 131° for 2 hours.

So, guess what I’d do is put both packets in at same time at 130-135° for 2 hours and test internal temp of each and play it by ear after that.

My Unit Had a Meltdown! WARNING!! - BarbaraS - 02-14-2016

And half of Hubby's dinner was RUINED! Specifically, the filet.

Set up the Cambro container with lid to the 8 qt level. Hubby cut out a 4" opening in one corner of the lid to accommodate the Anova. I had him cut a couple more holes in the lid to let more steam escape.

So I got everything prepped and the water up to temp. This time I was doing the filet at 135F for 2 1/2 hours. Seasoned the filet and vacuum sealed it and arranged it in the Lipavi rack I also purchased from Amazon and went back into the living room for a while.

Over the next 1 1/2 hours I went into the kitchen to check the set up. Everything looked good, the water was circulating well, and the readout showed 135 F on the Anova. Fine, went back to the living room.

Another 1/2 hour later and I check and see that the temp readout is now 134.9. I noticed there was a LOT of steam coming out the holes in the lid. Huh? So I take the lid off and see the water is actually BOILING in the container!! WHAT THE...? I get out my instant read thermo and the water is up to 197F!!! The readout on the Anove is still showing 134.9! The filet has been boiled to an ugly, ugly mess. I immediately unplug the Anova and take it out. I take out the filet pouch and it's just ruined!

Now I have no clue how to proceed with dinner. I still have the lobster tail vacuum sealed and ready to go. I have another pot of water on the stove top to heat up my crab legs.

So just out of curiosity I plug the Anova back in and re-attach to the Cambro. I turn it back on and it reads 197F water temp. HUH? Now it's correct?? So Hubby starts throwing ice cubes into the Cambro and I turned the Anova off for a while.

Hubby insists on still having the filet but I know it's going to taste like sh*t. Now what to do with the lobster tail?

We get the water temp down (I'm using my instant read thermo now) to about 120 +/- and I start the Anova again and set it to 135F. It gets the water back up to temp and circulates fine. I am watching it like a hawk now. I did the lobster tail okay for 30 minutes but it needed to go into the toaster oven broiler for a couple minutes - Jean, I'll explain this in the Saturday night dinner thread. Hubby ate some of the filet and although I tried a piece, I wouldn't even have fed it to an animal, it was that bad.

So I'll be getting in touch with Amazon for a return. I wonder if I can get my money back or do I a get credit? I was pretty sure by the packaging when I got it that it was new and not a reconditioned unit. I want another one since I loved how it worked the first time I used it, but I would rather get it from a retailer other than Amazon.

Oh, and I have pictures on my iPhone of all of this.

Barbara

Re: My Unit Had a Meltdown! WARNING!! - cjs - 02-14-2016

Do you plan on getting in touch with the Anova people before contacting Amazon telling them what happened??

What a rotten thing to happen! Disappointing as h*ll.

Re: My Unit Had a Meltdown! WARNING!! - BarbaraS - 02-14-2016

Jean,

My 1 month to return to Amazon expired on Friday. I'll have to deal with Anova now.

I've got it set up again and am going to vary the temp and see what happens.

Crossing fingers.

Barbara

Re: My Unit Had a Meltdown! WARNING!! - foodfiend - 02-14-2016

Barbara, Amazon is very accommodating with this sort of problem but, yes, contact Anova first and they will probably offer a replacement. This unit was on Amazon's daily deal a day or two ago and I had no clue what it was. Now I do.