Cuisine at home Forums
Anova Precision Cooker - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Anova Precision Cooker (/showthread.php?tid=174705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: Anova Sous Vide - karyn - 03-06-2016

Jean, that looks amazing! I'm so glad you're enjoying the Anova.

BTW, have you ever been to Sterling Vineyards? It was probably my favorite place in Napa when we were first married, but I haven't been back in years.

And, a St. Paddy's Day reminder...IMHO, there is no better way to do corned beef than sous vide. Last year I did it at 180 degrees for about 10 hours and it was so delicious that we bought a few more commercial corned beefs to have leftovers. I love me some corned beef hash and Reuben sandwiches!

Re: Anova Sous Vide - Gourmet_Mom - 03-06-2016

Jean, that looks delicious!

Karyn, I am now jealous I don't have one for my St. Paddy's Day dinner! I bet that meat was amazing!

Re: Anova Sous Vide - cjs - 03-06-2016

Karyn, would a ZipLock bag work for as long as 10 hours? I'd love to do that this year!

Re: Anova Sous Vide - Gourmet_Mom - 03-07-2016

I knew you'd jump on this! Jean, don't you still have your FoodSaver? Wouldn't that work better?

Re: Anova Sous Vide - BarbaraS - 03-07-2016

Love Sterling's Three Palm merlot!! Soooo tasty!!

Jean, you can do a zip lock bag for 10 hours, but eventually a little air will accumulate inside the bag (from the meat cooking) and you'll need to weigh it down. At least that's what I've read about some of the longer-cooking recipes.

Barbara

Re: Anova Sous Vide - cjs - 03-07-2016

My food saver is still packed up somewhere - but last few times I used it, sometimes it worked and then some not! Probably need to replace it.

Even with the air removed, it would need to be weighed down for that length of time, Barbara??

Conceivably, would it work to change bags after 5 hours (quickly) and just put back in??? hmmmmm

Re: Anova Sous Vide - BarbaraS - 03-07-2016

Jean,

With the exception of the first time I sous vide'd (new verb Webster's?), I've used my Food Saver to vacuum the bags. My first time, I did the Ziploc bag thing. Air was produced from cooking the filets - along with juices - and I had to adjust the clip several times to keep the filets fully submerged and even let a little air out and resealed. But I've only done this cooking method for less than 3 hours each time!

It has been noted from other cooks that for longer periods of cooking time, juice and air will float the bag and you need to tend to this. Nothing bad, just the result from cooking this way.

Personally, I wouldn't want to lose the juice you're getting from cooking the meat in the original bag or compromise the ongoing effort of the process.

You can use simple weights to keep the food bag down in the container or tie it to a weight like you would to a cluster of helium balloons and have it suspended in the water bath.

Anova's website has a Recipe tab that you can browse through. Great recipes. I'm doing steaks and Chicken Parmesan this weekend. Both with my unit!

http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/

Hubby: "You going to wash your new unit?"

Me: "Why?"

Barbara

Re: Anova Sous Vide - cjs - 03-07-2016

Thanks Barbara - I've had no trouble with the bags staying submerged, guess I've done a good job of getting rid of air as I seal.

I'll have to think on this. And, maybe Karyn has used different bags.....

Re: Anova Sous Vide - Cubangirl - 03-07-2016

We like to sous vide several things at a time. We got this rack and it works well, plus it is very small for storage. You can make it wide or skinny as needed.

I would highly recommend using food saver bags and a food saver. I am not sure how well Ziploc bags do for really long periods. We move the food saver to the edge of the counter when doing liquids. Let the bag hang over and use the wet function and pulse it. Another alternative is to freeze the liquid and add it frozen. I don't generally add a lot of liquid, since none will evaporate. As a rule dry is better, letting the item create the liquid as it cooks. Exception might be port for poached pears, but again a minimal amount. Butter and coconut oil work well.

Re: Anova Sous Vide - karyn - 03-07-2016

Quote:

I'll have to think on this. And, maybe Karyn has used different bags.....

t

Jean, my suggestion is to get out the Food Saver. That's what I use, and I've never had trouble with floating food. However, I don't have the Anova so the water in my sous vide doesn't circulate, so I don't know if that is part of the reason I don't have issues.