Cuisine at home Forums
Anova Precision Cooker - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Anova Precision Cooker (/showthread.php?tid=174705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - BarbaraS - 01-10-2016

Ordered mine today!! Hopefully will get it by Friday so I can try it out on some filets Saturday!

Barbara

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - Gourmet_Mom - 01-10-2016

Patience, Daphne, Patience.

Okay, let me clarify something here. I'm trying to build a case for this thing. If I understand correctly, I could make something like we are having tonight, Piccatta similar to Jean's first dish. I could do multiple servings either in the traditional way so I could pack meal portions with sauce and pasta. Freeze them, then put in Anova and bring to temp and it will be just like fresh cooked? I know this can be done in a pot of boiling water, also, but if I understand, this is a more accurate method. This, in addition to cooking proteins right in the Avona. And it will also hold a medium rare steak indefinitely without over cooking? That's the one thing that befuddles my brain.

Wait, one more. How do you know the product has reached the desired temperature?

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 01-10-2016

I'm going to leave these responses to Alina because that's not what I'm looking for in this method.

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - Cubangirl - 01-10-2016

[blockquote]Quote:

Patience, Daphne, Patience.

Okay, let me clarify something here. I'm trying to build a case for this thing. If I understand correctly, I could make something like we are having tonight, Piccatta similar to Jean's first dish. I could do multiple servings either in the traditional way so I could pack meal portions with sauce and pasta. Freeze them, then put in Anova and bring to temp and it will be just like fresh cooked? I know this can be done in a pot of boiling water, also, but if I understand, this is a more accurate method. This, in addition to cooking proteins right in the Avona.**
** I am not sure, I have not used it that way.

And it will also hold a medium rare steak indefinitely without over cooking? That's the one thing that befuddles my brain.***
*** Yes, the principle is simple. Lets say the internal temp of a medium-rare steak is 135°F. You set the circulator to 135°F and once that temp. shows on the digital readout you start your timing. For a 1" steak it will reach that temp in 45 minutes. Once it has reached that temp. it won't continue cooking, it will just stay warm, since for medium the temp would need to be 140°F.

Wait, one more. How do you know the product has reached the desired temperature? ****
**** You could use a Thermapen to check. However, I've never bothered. Sometimes it is a matter of how you like stuff. There are charts that give you desired internal temp. Carrots are 183°F for 1 hour. However, you want yours super soft, the you might want to cook them at 185°F for 1 hour. Hope that makes sense. This article about turkey has great examples of: how and why it works
BTW, the recipe is great.

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - Gourmet_Mom - 01-11-2016

Oh, I see. It doesn't know when the steak reaches that temp and stops, you have to time the cooking once the circulator reaches the temp you want. Thanks, Alina.

Although, my getting one any time soon flew out the window today. Last night, we noticed my refrigerator was getting worse. It has been leaking for a while and the ice and water dispenser has been shot for a long time. After turning up the freezer section to full blast, items on the upper shelves were cold, but still thawed. So we had to go out to buy a new fridge today. While I'm thrilled with getting a new one, it has made a major dent in our budget.

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 01-11-2016

Keep in mind I'm a novice at this. But on a forum talking about Anova someone who has one ended up with moisture in the 'engine' and it quite working. I noticed in everything I've been reading it says to be very careful not to get water in the motor (?) part.

I'm wondering if covering what you are cooking could create moisture where it shouldn't be??? I don't think I'll be covering anything while cooking.

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - Cubangirl - 01-11-2016

Jean covering the container won't get moisture in the motor. I wonder if the person submerged the entire unit. Commercial circulators are always closed. BTW, if the circulator does not start, the second thing to check is the water level. If it does not come up to the minimum mark, it won't start.

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - BarbaraS - 01-15-2016

That's probably what happened. They say in the user's manual that if you drop the device in water to first unplug it before you touch it. And it's rendered useless after that.

Going to try mine out this weekend with a couple filets.

Barbara

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - BarbaraS - 01-17-2016

Oh man, this machine is the nuts! And it's so quiet, too!

The filets came out FANTASTIC!! The best I've ever done! I did them at 132 degrees for almost 2 1/2 hours and then seared them for 1 1/2 minutes per side in a little butter in a cast iron pan. Hubby cut into his and was amazed at the uniformity of color. I was also blown away by the soft texture of the meat. Next time I'll do them a little more done at 135.

Can't wait to find some thick-cut bone-in pork chops to do next!! OMG!!

Two thumbs up with snaps!! And a happy dance thrown in for fun, baby!

Barbara

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 01-17-2016

Another happy camper!!