Cuisine at home Forums
Anova Precision Cooker - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Anova Precision Cooker (/showthread.php?tid=174705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - luvnit - 01-20-2016

I think I need to check this out!

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 01-20-2016

I think you do, too!Smile

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 01-22-2016

Our friend, Chef Dave Nelson, recommended using a 2" steak for the Sous Vide and Roy brought home the most beautiful steak yesterday. Best of all - our Safeway had it for 1/2 price!!! So, instead of a $30.00 piece of meat............

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 01-22-2016

A monster has definitely been born!! As I go thru my old recipes (down-sizing for a REALLY small new farm house), and going thru the cheesemaking folders, a light bulb went off. Can you make cheese with the sous vide method??????? Well, it looks like we can and I’m googling like mad, but here is the first site I ran across. Does it look as interesting to anyone else?? I think there will be much more research in my future!!

http://kilbyridgefarmmaine.blogspot.com/2011/03/sous-vide-cheesemaking.html

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - BarbaraS - 01-23-2016

Doing some monster center-cut pork chops today.

I found a butcher shop. A REAL butcher shop. He spoke those magical words to me when I bought all kinds of meats on Wednesday.

"How thick do you want this cut?".

Oh heaven!!

Barbara

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 01-23-2016

You bet!! What a find! Looks like we're both going to have fun today! What are you serving with your chops?

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 01-23-2016

Sous Vide Steak?? Oh yes, if you have this little machine, please do a steak!! I seasoned the steak with s&p plus 1 T. each: oil and bacon grease ( ). 2 hours at 128.5° and for us absolutely perfect. After cooked, I seared the steak for 1 min. each side in 1 T. clarified butter + 1 T. grapeseed oil. The flavor was just outstanding. Thanks Dave Nelson for leading the way on this one.
Taste tested 2 wines – Apothic Red wine ~$9.00 vs. Sterling 2013 Cab ~ $32.00 with the steak we both agreed the Sterling was the best (but…just drinking Apothic beat out the Cab by far!) The rest of our dinner: Hasselback potatoes and mango with lime and Cilantro. Overall so darn good!! (And, I completely forgot to make Roy Richard a Gin Martini to go with his steak….but, he didn’t complain)

[Image: Jan%2023%20Wine%20testing%20w%20steak_zpspgz0bnwq.jpg]

Out of sous vide
[Image: Jan%2023%20out%20of%20Sous%20Vide_zpsdyrb6ehv.jpg]

Seared
[Image: Jan%2023%20Steak%20seared_zpsz4jl4ph6.jpg]

Our dinner
[Image: Jan%2023%20Steak%20dinner_zpsy5jnjrkf.jpg]

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - Gourmet_Mom - 01-23-2016

Oh my! This looks OUTSTANDING!!!! Moaning and drooling here!

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - karyn - 01-23-2016

Jean, that looks incredible. I loved the sous vide corned beef i mad last year. I really want to find the time and focus to do a sous vide sirloin. I usually find sirloin as a steak pretty tough, but I think sous vide with a quick sear could be prety tasty, y'know?

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - Gourmet_Mom - 01-23-2016

Karyn, it sure would be a true test of the machine's ability to turn out a tender juicy steak, if it works! I gave up sirloin for a steak long ago.