Cuisine at home Forums
Anova Precision Cooker - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Anova Precision Cooker (/showthread.php?tid=174705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - Cubangirl - 01-24-2016

We find sirloin to be great sous vide. I am a filet eater only, so for me to like a sirloin means it has to be pretty tender. Here's how I do them:

SOUS VIDE SIRLOIN STEAKS

For rare: 129 °F / 54 °C For medium-rare: 135 °F / 57 °C For medium: 140 °F / 60 °C For medium-well: 147 °F / 64 For a 0.5"/1.25 cm =15 minutes. For a 1"/2.5 cm = 45 minutes For a 1.5"/3.8 cm = 90 minutes. For a 2"/5 cm = 2 hours.

5 stars - These were as good as New York Steaks for half the price. Tender and beefy.

Oven Temperature: 135°F

Servings: 4

Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes

40 oz. top sirloin steaks(4) trimmed
4 TBS. unsalted butter
4 sprigs lemon thyme
4 sprigs tarragon
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. Mural of Flavor
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
4 pinches grains of paradise
1 TBS. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsps. dry sherry (optional)

Preheat the sous vide bath to 135° F. Trim the steaks and pat dry. Sprinkle the spices evenly over the 4 steaks. Place in foodsaver bag and add butter and herbs. Double seal if possible.

Place in sous vide bath and cook for 45 minutes. Take out, and if not serving all four steaks, place the ones not being served in a bowl with half ice and half water. For the ones being served, carefully cut top of bags and remove steaks, reserving liquid in bag. Dry well. Put olive oil in a skillet large enough to accommodate both steaks and turn on heat to high. As soon as the pan is hot enough put steaks on the oil and turn quickly. Use a torch on the now oiled side until seared. Turn the steak over and torch if more searing is needed. Remove steaks to warmed plates and add the reserved bag liquid to the pan. Deglaze pan with a bit of dry sherry if desired. Drizzle contents of pan over the steaks evenly and serve.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Beef, Fresh Tarragon, Fresh Thyme, Main Dish, Make-Ahead, Meat, Sous Vide, Steak

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - BarbaraS - 01-24-2016

I too am awaiting the sirloin test. Overdid the pork chops last night, though. Very disappointed. One temp guide said 144 degrees for medium rare, but the link that Karyn provided said 130. Should have gone with 130. Will be keeping a notebook on my trials and tribulations.

Barbara

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 01-24-2016

For modern day pork, that really is over done. That's too bad.

I love my steaks un-adorned, so I was pushing it adding the bacon grease, but wow, was that nice. S&P for me is all a good steak needs.

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - BarbaraS - 01-28-2016

LOBSTER

145° F for 15 minutes. Bagged six medallions to a bag with a bit of Kerrygold butter and a pinch of kosher salt .

140°F for 15-40 minutes. 5-6 ounces. I can leave them in from15-40 minutes at 140F, and they are perfect at either end of the scale.

Alina,

I want to do a lobster tail for Hubby for Valentine's Day sous vide. I assume you remove the meat from the shell?

I'm still trying to figure out how to do a filet with that as well.

Barbara

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - Cubangirl - 01-28-2016

I've never cooked lobster in any form, so no help there, so you may have to google that one.

We've never done fillets sous vide, since they are quite tender from the grill. However, I don't think you can go wrong is you follow the directions given here here.

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 01-28-2016

My friend does lobsters Barbara. I'll ask him tomorrow - a chef who knows what he's talking about.

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - BarbaraS - 01-28-2016

Thanks Alina!! I figured I'd take the Lobster meat out of the tail, put a pat of butter in the packet and cook.

I can think about doing the filet earlier and re-heating.

I appreciate your input!

Barbara

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 01-30-2016

A friend on another cooking forum, rec’d this msg. from Anova after her unit died. They did replace it, I guess. Good company.

"Thank you for contacting Anova Support!
I am sorry to hear that this has happened to your unit. We really suggest that for cooking with higher temps or if using for a longer cooking time; you have to make sure that your pot is properly coastered and covered.”

I can’t get the rest of the msg. to copy to share it. But evidently the steam over time can get in the unit and causes all kinds of problems.

(How long has it been since any of you ‘hunt & pecked’ typed??? Geez)

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - BarbaraS - 02-02-2016

Jean,

I know you're one-handed, but have you checked with your chef friend about the lobster? Shell or no shell?

Barbara

Re: Anova Precision Cooker - cjs - 02-02-2016

Shoot, forgot - I'll do it right now, Barbara!!