Cuisine at home Forums
Winner winner taco dinner - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Winner winner taco dinner (/showthread.php?tid=178032)

Winner winner taco dinner - labradors - 04-26-2016

Last week, I tried a recipe for making Tacos al Pastor at home. Since I don't have one of the vertical rotisseries normally used for this (similar to what's used for Gyros), I adapted the recipe for oven use.

It was delicious and tasted just like the Tacos al Pastor I've had in Mexican restaurants (including one in Honduras that did have the vertical rotisserie). Given how easy this was and how well it turned out, I'll definitely be making these again (and again...).

Since my mom had bought some pork tenderloin on sale, that's what I used and what I listed in the recipe, but you could probably use just about any pork and still get good results.

Sorry it took a while to post it, but I had to translate it to English and add my own notes.

HERE is the recipe.

Re: Winner winner taco dinner - cjs - 04-26-2016

Sounds really tasty, Labs - copied and saved.

I'm a little confused on how the pork ought to be sliced - thin medallions and skewered horizontally rather than 'chunks'?

Post deleted by sysadmin - - 04-26-2016

Re: Winner winner taco dinner - foodfiend - 04-26-2016

Jean, I'm thinking that the skewer goes thru the center of the slice so that the pork on the skewer "stands" vertically to expose as much surface area as possible to the heat (???). Labs, I have the ingredients and will make it soon! Sounds like our kind of meal.

That's my first thought, also

Re: Winner winner taco dinner - labradors - 04-26-2016

Yes. Thin medallions. Literally, the Spanish text said "we must have the pork in thin steaks."

Didn't try to stand the skewers, though. Just browned them in a pan on top of the stove then put them into a baking dish.

Of course, grilling would be a great option, as well.

got it, thanks

Re: Winner winner taco dinner - labradors - 04-26-2016

P.S.: I only made half of the recipe for the two of us and that gave us dinner (two well-filled tacos apiece) for three nights in a row with a little left over that was really good in an omelette for breakfast.

good to know

Re: Winner winner taco dinner - Gourmet_Mom - 04-26-2016

Sounds good, Labs! Copied and saved!