Cuisine at home Forums
Jean's B'day Review dinner - Review May 19, 2016 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Jean's B'day Review dinner - Review May 19, 2016 (/showthread.php?tid=178227)

Jean's B'day Review dinner - Review May 19, 2016 - cjs - 05-03-2016

Here goes - my turn. First tho, I hope the extra days don't matter to anyone (if so, we can change back to the Monday) - we're going to be out of town for a week, and this week is shot for me, so.....

I'm choosing from #117, pg. 59
Cornflake-Crusted Pork Nuggets with Mojo Glaze
Mashed Sweet Potato with Anaheim Chile

Let me know if anyone needs the recipes.

Re: Jean's B'day Review dinner - Review May 19, 2016 - Mare749 - 05-03-2016

Sounds good, Jean. I have a pork tenderloin waiting to be used, so this will be it.

So far, I have not found Seville orange marmalade, only regular orange marmalade. Do you think it will make a huge difference?

Re: Jean's B'day Review dinner - Review May 19, 2016 - Gourmet_Mom - 05-03-2016

Sounds good to me! I'm about to take off to buy my BOGO tenderloins, so this will help with one tenderloin..

Re: Jean's B'day Review dinner - Review May 19, 2016 - cjs - 05-19-2016

Issue #117 – Cornflake-Crusted Pork Nuggets with Mojo Glaze andSweet Ptato with chiles. Wow, what a wonderful combination of flavors – heat, sweetness, tenderness of the pork nuggets – it all worked together.
[Image: may%2017%20005_zpsatkea1gy.jpg]
Wines: Covey Run Riesling and Carnivoir CA 2013 Cab. – both very good with this dish.

I’ll certainly do these flavors again!! I’m thinking I’d like the Sweet potato mash that goes with the Ropa Vieja recipe (C@H) better than this one, but only because I think it’s the best I’ve ever had. P.S. a little birdie suggested making double the sauce and I did – certainly glad I did too, now I have it to add to the leftovers. Might make a pork po’boy and add some coleslaw from today to the mix…..

Re: Jean's B'day Review dinner - Review May 19, 2016 - Gourmet_Mom - 05-19-2016

This was a nice dinner. We really liked the nuggets. The mojo sauce was not a big hit, but the Sweet Potatoes were pretty good.

[Image: image_43.jpg]

CHANGES:
-Cooking spray instead of butter on the nuggets.
-Canned green chilies instead of fresh in the potatoes. (Only logical substitute.)
-Lemon instead of lime in the Mojo Sauce. (Thought I had a lime?)
-Sweet Orange Marmalade in the sauce. (Closest option available.)
-Green onion tops instead of chives. (Obvious sub.)

RATING:
Nuggets get a 9+
Mojo sauce gets a 7.5
Potatoes get an 8.5

I will probably never make the Mojo Sauce again. It was good alone, but I don't think it was the best combo for us. Plus, the whole time I thought how good the nuggets would be if I had Honey Mustard Sauce instead. Oddly enough, I had the Fried Chicken Salad scheduled for Saturday. Since I doubled the recipe, I'm using the Pork Nuggets instead of the chicken. I think this is a PERFECT repurpose of the nuggets! Since I used canned chilies for the potatoes, I wonder, but we both agree that the sweet and heat didn't work. We'll see.

UPDATE: I forgot to take a picture of the salad, but that got a ten!

Re: Jean's B'day Review dinner - Review May 19, 2016 - Mare749 - 05-19-2016

We loved this dinner. In fact, Ron asked me to make it again in the near future. The nuggets turned out perfect and crispy and I doubled the sauce because Ron uses so much. We both loved the sauce and I added some heat to it which made it even better.

I didn't have the right chilis but read online that the pepper called for is dried and smoked. I had a bottle of ground chipotle that made a good sub and made the sweet potatoes smokey and hot. Great combination of flavors. We gave this meal a solid 9. Sorry no pic. We were hungry!

Great pick, Jean. Okay....who's next????

Re: Jean's B'day Review dinner - Review May 19, 2016 - cjs - 05-20-2016

right, who's next???