Cuisine at home Forums
Spiralizer and Its Uses - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Spiralizer and Its Uses (/showthread.php?tid=178873)

Spiralizer and Its Uses - cjs - 06-02-2016

Oh, I like this little new toy!! Even Roy didn’t realize there was no meat in it until he was done eating. (I had forgotten to add the rest of the leftover rib meat… )
The machine I have is the Paderno Slicer which came with 3 blades – 2 ribbon (or noodle) cuts sizes and one ‘c-shaped’ cut. I used the largest of the 2 noodle cuts and I’m really on the fence whether to use this size again or try the smaller one. Trial and error is in my future.

I have a favorite spicy peanut sauce which I made up and thinned it down to a nice sauce consistency with mirin and it worked great. As a guide, I used the Peanut Zucchini recipe from the link Susan listed for us) I didn’t cook the zucchini with the garlic, carrot and bell pepper – I did them separately and added the zucc noodles as I added the peanut sauce and just stir-fried until coated and warmed thru. This is where the indecision comes into play – the larger noodles were still crunchy and that is what I wanted, but don’t know if the smaller ones would heat faster and still retain the crunchiness. Make sense??

Anyway, the upshot is - we both loved this dish and did not miss regular pasta at all!! I’m excited about this spiralizing because I really do want to get away from my beloved pasta, but still have one-dish meals with sauces!!! And, sometimes rice and/or grains just don’t do it. Best of both worlds.

P.S. To initially try out the machine because I didn’t know if the zucc would discolor being done ahead of time, I first made the Chocolate Chip Zucchini cake recipe from the same link of Susan’s. Happy results, wrapping the shredded zucc in a towel to absorb excess moisture kept it fine. So, it can be done a little ahead of time.

[Image: Jun%202%20Peanut%20Sauced%20Zucc%20Noodl...6snvmg.jpg]

[Image: Jun%202%20Choc%20Chip%20Zucc%20Cake_zpsnkyrflm0.jpg]

Post deleted by sysadmin - - 06-02-2016

Re: Spiralizer and Its Uses - cjs - 06-02-2016

Is this the same link from the other thread? If so, I did download it and they're are some great ideas on it. Thanks for posting it.

Post deleted by sysadmin - - 06-02-2016

Re: Spiralizer and Its Uses - Gourmet_Mom - 06-02-2016

That looks delicious! I sure would like to have my pasta with less guilt. Watching and waiting.

Re: Spiralizer and Its Uses - Harborwitch - 06-02-2016

I love mine . . . I think I got it when we were still on the Island. I forget to use it because "out of sight out of mind".

Re: Spiralizer and Its Uses - cjs - 06-03-2016

I'm really pleased now that we had leftovers for a snack later - zapped it in the microwave and the 'noodles' still had a crunchiness to them. Not soggy at all.

I'm doing one more application using the smaller of the shredder blade today with the rest of the zucchini to make a salad. will use raw and if necessary zap l/os if we don't care for the texture of the raw, but don't see why we wouldn't.

Re: Spiralizer and Its Uses - cjs - 06-04-2016

The smaller shred disc works wonderfully for a 'raw' zucc salad.
[Image: jun%203%20003_zpsokwhfbtc.jpg]

What didn't work was the sweet potato fries - but, I think it was the method and not the disc which cut them. Will have to play with this. The flavor was very good, but they never did get crispy as thin and small as they were.

[Image: Jun%203%20Citrus%20Chicken_zps4s1ifj32.jpg]

Post deleted by sysadmin - - 06-04-2016

Re: Spiralizer and Its Uses - cjs - 06-04-2016

It's a fun side show.