Cuisine at home Forums
Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun (/showthread.php?tid=180455)

Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun - Mare749 - 08-23-2016

Hope everyone will feel like participating in this review dinner. Since so many of us have hectic schedules these days, I chose this menu for it's simplicity in preparation.

Let's post our reviews on Tuesday, Sept. 6 since Monday is a holiday.

BALSAMIC STEAK STIR-FRY with broccolini

"This fork and knife stir-fry is great for a simple weeknight meal, but is elegant enough for date night, too."

8 oz. broccolini, trimmed and halved on the bias, blanched
1/3 cup low-sodium beef broth
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 T. low sodium soy sauce
2 T. honey
2 tsp. each, cornstarch and toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. each, grated fresh ginger and garlic
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp. each, red pepper flakes and minced orange zest
1 8 oz. beef tenderloin filet, halved crosswise and lengthwise, seasoned with salt and black pepper
2 T. olive oil
1 cup sliced onions

Blanch broccolini in a pot of boiling salted water, 3 minutes; drain and dry in a salad spinner.

Whisk together broth, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, cornstarch, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, Dijon, pepper flakes, and zest.

Sear medallions in 2 T. olive oil in a sauce pan over high heat until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side; transfer to a plate and tent with foil.

Add onion to same pan and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add broth mixture and boil until thickened. Stir in broccolini and cook 1 minute. Return medallions to pan and coat in sauce.

Serve stir-fry over Scallion Rice.

SCALLION RICE:

¼ cup sliced scallion whites and light greens
1 tsp. mustard seeds
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 T. olive oil
½ c. dry jasmine rice
¾ c. water
¼ c. sliced scallion greens

Sauté scallion whites and light greens, mustard seeds, and salt in oil in a saucepan over medium heat until scallions soften, 1-2 minutes. Stir in rice. Add water, bring to a boil, cover, then reduce heat to low and simmer rice 15 minutes. Remove rice from heat, let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Stir in scallion greens just before serving.

Servings: 2
Source: Cuisine at Home, Issue No. 119

Re: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun - cjs - 08-23-2016

Sounds good, Maryann - I'm in

Re: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun - losblanos1 - 08-23-2016

Perfect choice Maryann! Carylann already had it down for Saturday.

Re: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun - Trixxee - 08-23-2016

I am such a flake when it comes to deadlines that I will just put it this way - sounds delicious and I hope to make it soon.

Thanks for posting the recipe - I haven't received my issue yet.

Re: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun - Trixxee - 08-23-2016

Yeah! Tony bought the beef for me today (though I'll be using Costco's "prime" sirloin rather than filet). I plan on making it tomorrow!

Re: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun - Gourmet_Mom - 08-23-2016

Since I've been on an Asian kick lately, I'm in, too! I'm not swearing to meeting the deadline, but I intend to try! And I will definitely be making it!

Re: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun - Mare749 - 08-23-2016

Yay! I am so glad that you are all okay with what I picked!

Anyone else who would like to join in, please do! These review dinners are a lot of fun. All you have to do is make the recipe and post your review on the review date, which is Sept.6 this time.

Pix are appreciated but not a requirement for participation. Just enjoy a special meal and share your thoughts.