Cuisine at home Forums
ISO the BEST Crab Cake Recipe - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: ISO the BEST Crab Cake Recipe (/showthread.php?tid=180532)

ISO the BEST Crab Cake Recipe - Gourmet_Mom - 08-27-2016

Ashley is having an incredible meal tonight with shrimp, crab cakes and rib eyes! So jealous! Will share photos tomorrow.

Anyway, she asked for a recipe for crab cakes. I couldn't get anything for her in time, so she went with one she thought sounded good on the Old Bay website. I thought I'd ask you guys for tried and true for future reference. I can't find the Bobby Chez recipe at the moment, but I want to try that one. And Jean, I have your recipes for the Windows and Fundraiser recipes, but I wondered if you have found something better since I copied those.

Re: ISO the BEST Crab Cake Recipe - cjs - 08-27-2016

Yes, but I'm drinking wine right now.....

Re: ISO the BEST Crab Cake Recipe - Gourmet_Mom - 08-27-2016

Me too! LOL! No rush. She said the Old Bay recipe was a keeper. But it doesn't hurt to have options.

Re: ISO the BEST Crab Cake Recipe - cjs - 08-28-2016

That's for sure - I'm always tweaking crab cakes, we love them! The 3 I'm sending you are various ones I've made, but the Pat Conroy one I haven't made yet - but so want to.

When Houseboat Don was here, we had a bit of a crab cake cookoff to see which of 3 recipes we liked the best. The one I thought would win was close, but a new method won out. I'll post the recipe and method but be aware the writer makes it sound much more complicated than it is. Just read thru and you'll see how 'everyday' the method is, really.

Thierry’s Dungeness Crab Cakes –

the three of us (don, Roy & Me) voted this one the best.
From Chef Tom Douglas book, I Love Crab Cakes
You will need 4 ring molds for this recipe, 2 to 2 1/2 inches in dia. and a few inches deep.

3/4 lb Dungeness (preferably) crabmeat, drained, picked clean of shell and lightly squeezed if wet
2 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbs finely chopped shallots
2 Tbs thinly sliced chives
1 Tbs finely chopped basil
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
2 large egg yolks, light beaten with 1 T. water
2 Tbs oive oil
Garnish & go with:
Clam Aioli
Thinly sliced chives

1. Chop the crabmeat into small pieces. No piece of crab should be larger than a pea – this is important so you get a nice tight pack in the mold without air spaces.

2. Transfer the crabmeat to a bowl and add the garlic, shallots, chives, basil, and a little ground pepper to taste.

3. Set ring molds on a work Divide the crab mixture among the molds, packing he crab as tightly as you can into each mold with your fingers. Put the bread crumbs on a plate. Leaving the crabmeat in the mold, use a spoon to generously spread an even layer of egg wash on top of the crabmeat. Turn the mold upside down onto the plate of bread crumbs. If the crabmeat is not even with the edge of the mold on both sides, push down on the crabmeat wit you fingers so the egg-washed side makes contact with the brad crumbs. Repeat with the egg was over the unbreaded side of the mold, and turn the mold upside down again to bread-crumb the other side. Set mold aside and repeat with the remaining molds.

4. Set a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. When the skillet is hot, pick up a mold and place in the pan, then use your fingers to push thecrab cake out of the mold, removing the mold from the pan. Repeat with remaining mlds. Cook the crab cakes until browned on the fist side, about 1 minute, then very carefully turn them over, using a spatula, and brown the second side, about a minute more.

5. (the instructions are so darn wordy, just read thru and you’re good to go!)

--------------
Maryann, I’m throwing this one in only because I so badly want to make it and haven’t had the chance yet –maybe you’ll beat me.

Pat Conroy's Crab Cakes
Life, Love, Memories and Food Are Covered in Conroy's Latest Book
Cook Time: 60-120 min
Pat Conroy, one of America's favorite storytellers, talked about his unique cookbook on Good Morning America.The book offers a great collection of amazing recipes and stories about his life that relate to the food.Check out the following recipes from "The Pat Conroy Cookbook" by Pat Conroy.

1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over and cleaned, with all shell fragments removed
1 egg white, lightly beaten (until just foamy, not stiff)
1 Tbs all-purpose flour
2 Tbs fresh chives, finely snipped
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp coarse or kosher salt
3 Tbs unsalted butter
2 tsp peanut oil
Lemon wedges

1. Place the cleaned crabmeat in a medium mixing bowl. Pour the egg white over crabmeat slowly, stopping occasionally to mix it through. When the crabmeat has absorbed the egg white and feels slightly sticky to the touch, sift the flour over crabmeat and sprinkle the chives, black pepper, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon of the salt evenly over the top. Lift the crabmeat from the bottom of the bowl, turning it over gently, to mix the ingredients without overhandling.

2. Separate the crabmeat into 8 equal portions and gently roll each between the flattened palms of your hands to form loose balls. Flatten slightly and transfer to a plate. Sprinkle both sides liberally with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cooking.

3. Line a baking pan with paper towels. Fry the crab cakes in two batches to ensure a crisp crust. Using a small (8-inch) heavy skillet that conducts heat well, melt half the butter and oil together until the mixture is foamy and begins to brown. Carefully place the crab cakes in the hot fat and fry until a crust forms, turning only once, about 2 minutes per side. (The fat should be sizzling hot, enabling a crisp crust to form before the crab absorbs the cooking fat. This is the Southern secret to perfect crab cakes.)

4. A small pastry spatula (with a thin tongue) will make lifting and turning the delicate crab cakes a lot easier. Remove the crab cakes and drain in the prepared pan. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm while you make the second batch.

5. Carefully pour off the cooking fat from the first batch, wipe out the pan, and return it to the heat. Prepare the second batch of crab cakes using the remaining butter and oil.

6. Serve hot with lemon wedges. Makes 8 crab cakes.
-----------
Crab Cakes II
There are as many crab cake recipes in the world as there are crabs in the ocean ~ and, here’s one with a nice twist. For another flavor, omit the curry powder and substitute green onions for the green olives.

1 lb. crab meat, approximately 2 cups 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten 1/8 tsp. mustard powder
1 cup celery, minced 2 T. minced green olives
1 T. mayonnaise, may use low-fat or fat-free 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1 T. lemon juice 1/4 cup bread crumbs from 1 slice whole
1/4 tsp. white pepper wheat bread, or as needed
1/4 tsp. curry powder 1 T. oil

Combine the crab meat, egg and celery together gently in a bowl; set aside. In another bowl mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, seasonings, olives and Tabasco sauce; add to the crab mixture along with 2 Tablespoons of the crumbs and gently mix all together. Add the remaining crumbs if needed.
Divide into 18 equal portions and form into small patties, placing the patties on a sheet pan; place in the freezer for no more than 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Remove from freezer and spray the crab cakes with cooking spray. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat, add the oil; and with a spatula move the crab cakes from the sheet pan to the skillet, sprayed side down. Cook until just nicely browned, and then turn the cakes over; remove skillet from heat and put in oven. Bake for 6 to 7 minutes until cooked through. Serve immediately while hot. Makes 18 crab cakes.

a Chef’s Journey tip: for a great crab slider, cut slices of dark pumpernickel bread into rounds that fit the cakes and toast them. Spread pimento cheese, mustard, or mayonnaise on the bread and top with a crab cake and a slice of tomato and lettuce.

Re: ISO the BEST Crab Cake Recipe - Mare749 - 08-28-2016

I want to try them all!