Cuisine at home Forums
Labor Day Weekend, 2016 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Labor Day Weekend, 2016 (/showthread.php?tid=180616)

Labor Day Weekend, 2016 - cjs - 09-01-2016

It's almost here, any fun things lined up to end the summer (the summer that really wasn't around here! ) Guess it's time to start thinking....

Karyn started us out -
"We're having a smaller version of the 4th of July crowd. Some dear friends will arrive Friday night and depart Sunday morning. They're bringing cheese and charcuterie for dinner, which is my very favorite way to start the weekend.

Our respective children & their spouses/significant others will arrive Saturday on their own schedules. Dinner will be sous vide tri-tip with a choice of sauces...horseradish cream, chimichurri, or mole, esquites, and a green salad (probably from a bag, 'cuz I feel like we need something green and don't want to work too hard.) I'm hoping to convince people that taking the boat to breakfast one morning will be fun (which it is, but that means we miss the glassy water...)

Anyway, it should be a really fun weekend!"

Thanks Karyn.

Re: Labor Day Weekend, 2016 - Mare749 - 09-01-2016

Ron's younger sister and her husband are coming in for the weekend so we will be spending some time with them. We like to go to the air show down on the lake that is here for the weekend, so will pick what looks like the best weather day to do that. We usually come back to our house for an easy BBQ afterwards. Nothing fancy, just hamburgers, grilled corn, and potato and/or mac salad.

Re: Labor Day Weekend, 2016 - cjs - 09-05-2016

Not much of a food holiday around here today - making a Costco run (I assume it is open). Roy will want a hot dog and maybe I'll get a slice of pizza as I haven't had a fix for a while.

Re: Labor Day Weekend, 2016 - BarbaraS - 09-05-2016

I rubbed some ribs yesterday. Will be doing those in the oven today with some Funnibonz sauce. Got some cole slaw and will be doing the corn sous vide today.

Barbara

Shoot - I always do ribs on Labor day - thought I was tired of them until you mentioned them, Barbara, now I'm wanting them.

Re: Labor Day Weekend, 2016 - BarbaraS - 09-05-2016

You still have time!

I'm excited to do the corn today. I need to see what all the hype is about.

Barbara

Here's what I posted re the sous vide corn a while back. Sharon loves doing it.

"Jesus, I hate eating my words!!! O.K., Sharon, I tried the Sous Vide corn and while I still don’t like anything added to mine, I tried it as you suggested. It was very good. But, I will try it again just rubbed with a little oil and nothing else. That will be the real test. But, I did have trouble keeping it submerged – and yes, I had vacuum sealed it. I jerry-rigged it so they were submerged."

Good luck - hope you like it.

Re: Labor Day Weekend, 2016 - Mare749 - 09-05-2016

We are suppose to go out to the kid's campground today, but I'm like a slow moving train this morning so not sure when we will leave. They all want to go to their favorite eatery out there called Chops.

Re: Labor Day Weekend, 2016 - Trixxee - 09-05-2016

Quote:

Not much of a food holiday around here today - making a Costco run (I assume it is open).

They are indeed closed.

I went freezer diving and found some marinated carne asada so we'll have tacos and pinto beans.

Yeah, found that out - thank heaven's over the phone!!

I'll join you in freezer diving.................