Cuisine at home Forums
Winter BLT Sandwiches - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Winter BLT Sandwiches (/showthread.php?tid=180748)

Winter BLT Sandwiches - cjs - 09-08-2016

I Love BLTs, but I don’t like to make them in the winter because of the non-flavored tomatoes which are available. Recently I saw an idea around this on a blog or something from Martha Stewart – a Winter BLT. Tossing a can of drained diced tomatoes with garlic, olive oil, s&p and roasting at a high temp until the tomatoes are dry and beginning to brown. (I’ll be adding more herbs/seasonings next time) You use this as a spread adding to the layers for the sandwich. And, I’m happy to say, after the fact, it does work. At least I would prefer this method in the winter than to go without or using accessible tomatoes.
After roasting, chop the heck out of the tomatoes to make a nice spread consistency.
[Image: Sept%207%20Tomatoes%20for%20Winter%20BLT...vnnna4.jpg]
Starting with homemade bread and my friend, Chef David Nelson’s Canadian Bacon didn’t hurt the flavors, I can tell you. Plus, we love the addition of a thin layer of peanut butter….I know I just lost a few people on this, but don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it.
Herb bread
[Image: sept20920003_zpspgxfn0tf.jpg]

Making the BLT
[Image: sept20920004_zpslze67ast.jpg]

Winter BLT
[Image: sept20920006_zpsgt3obqlb.jpg]

And, you have a BLT that is acceptable until summer is back and all those delicious Heirloom tomatoes are to be had again!!

Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches - Mare749 - 09-08-2016

Hmmm, that's a pretty fine idea. Thanks, Jean.

Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches - cjs - 09-08-2016

I have 3 more little pkgs. in the freezer - anxious to try with regular bacon.

Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches - Mare749 - 09-09-2016

I just remembered something that I tried last winter. Ron LOVES stewed tomatoes with his mac and cheese. We had a few l/o from the night before. I made a grilled ham and cheese the next day for lunch and added some drained (on a paper towel) tomatoes to my sandwich and really liked it.

Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches - cjs - 09-09-2016

similar option, I'm thinking - it is a good combination.

Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches - Gourmet_Mom - 09-10-2016

Hi! I popped in to let you guys know I'm alive but not well. My back started going Tuesday and my sciatic nerve woke me up at 5:30 Thursday morning with a vengeance! Worst attack EVER! I'm mending, but slowly. William has done a decent job feeding me, although Thursday night, I was in so much pain, the thought of food made me feel sick.

But today, I managed to get off the bed without stifling a scream! So that's progress.

Jean, this is just the coolest idea EVER!

Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches - Mare749 - 09-10-2016

Ouch! Take care of you, Daphne!

Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches - cjs - 09-10-2016

Oh Daphne, I've gone thru something similar when all the kids were still home and 4 or 5 days are a complete blank..I have no idea how they ate or took care of themselves - you all know how little Roy cooks

I'm so sorry to hear you're going thru this - Take care and let the family take care of you for a while.

Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches - Gourmet_Mom - 09-10-2016

Thanks, you guys. I am letting most things go at home and work, but I have managed to communicate with the guys and customers by phone, text and email. So it hasn't been a total loss. Although, I couldn't tell you what I actually did Thursday. That day is a complete blur.

Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches - luvnit - 09-18-2016

I love this idea. I bet it works beautifully!