Cuisine at home Forums
Ideas for red serrano chiles? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Ideas for red serrano chiles? (/showthread.php?tid=180982)

Ideas for red serrano chiles? - labradors - 09-30-2016

First, let me just say that my "garden" has had both success and failure this year. Once again, the peppers are doing well, but I may as well just pull up the tomato plants.

Turning to the peppers...

I finally picked more than just a couple serranos. Well, for Taco Tuesday, I picked four that were red. Chopped up in the taco meat, they were delicious. It was the first time I had even seen serranos red, let alone eaten them. They were so yummy I decided to pick the rest of the ones that had turned red - 18 of the beauties:

[Image: WO3Fgw0.jpg]

(that left about 30 green ones still on the plant).

Now I'm trying to decide what to make with them, other than just a hot sauce or salsa. Have any of you used red serrano chiles before? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: Ideas for red serrano chiles? - cjs - 09-30-2016

Do you think they can be used as green ones are??

Stir fry chicken with veggies in a fajita
have you added them to a chili for the heat?
add them to frittatas
I've added them to potato salad, soups, etc.

Goat Cheese Dressing – to go with beet & spinach salad – a Chef Dave Nelson idea

1 cup fresh soft goat cheese
1/2 cup half and half
1 serrano chile, minced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
fresh cracked pepper
1 scallion, chopped

Place all the ingredients except scallions in a blender and process until smooth. Sprinkle scallions on top and chill.

add to anything you're going to pickle - asparagus.....

One of our favorites - Fried Catfish Rolls, an old Food Network recipe
[Image: catfish%20roll_zpsdgqv74hq.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fried Catfish Rolls

Vegetable oil -- for frying
1 jalapeno or serrano peppers -- diced (remove seeds for less heat) (1 to 2)
2 scallions -- roughly chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon pickling liquid -- plus sliced pickles for garnish (1 to 2)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup instant flour (such as Wondra)
1 pound catfish fillets -- cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 count package miniature potato buns (do not separate) -- ¥
2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted
1 large ripe tomato -- thinly sliced
1 stalk celery -- thinly sliced

Heat about 2 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees.

Combine the jalapeno, scallions, mayonnaise and pickling liquid in a blender; puree until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Place the flour in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Dredge the catfish in the flour; shake off any excess in a strainer. Working in batches, fry the fish until lightly golden and just cooked through, about 1 minute. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper-towel-lined plate; let cool. Preheat the broiler.

While the fish cools, divide the buns into four 3-roll rows (they'll look like hot dog buns). Split open down the center; brush the tops and insides with the melted butter; broil until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.

Toss the fried catfish with the spiced mayonnaise; divide among the buns. Garnish with tomato, pickles and celery.

-----------------
Can you tell I love Serranos???

Re: Ideas for red serrano chiles? - Old Bay - 10-01-2016

Some of those look big enough to stuff. How about stuffing with cream cheese, wrapping with bacon and broiling in the oven? The red ones should be a little sweeter and less hot than green? We use the red to stuff with asparagus when pickling for heat and color.

Re: Ideas for red serrano chiles? - cjs - 10-01-2016

I wish we had a "love" icon.................