Cuisine at home Forums
Candied Salmon - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Candied Salmon (/showthread.php?tid=181030)

Candied Salmon - piano226 - 10-16-2016

Hello Everybody,

Has anyone of you made candied salmon and if you did what recipe have you used?

Thank you very much.

P.S I would like to hot smoke salmon

RE: Candied Salmon - cjs - 10-16-2016

Well hello Stranger!!! Take a minute and let us know how/what you're up to!! We miss you.

Maybe I shouldn't post this version - it's a cheap and dirty method, but in the winter when I don't want to be outside in the snow working the smoker, I go to this one. It's not candied, but it has a sweetness to it that is addictive. I'd love to hear about some other ideas that other may post.

From Black Beans & Corn Cookbook -
Oven-Smoked Salmon

Years ago, Chef Marlene Cochran, who lives in the Yukon, gave me this easy method of smoking salmon. For those who don’t own a smoker, this salmon recipe will make everyone think you do. I do own a smoker, but I find up here in the Pacific Northwest when it is rainy, I don’t fight the elements, I just pull out Marlene’s recipe and we’re very happy.

Quantities depend on size and number of salmon pieces you are working with:
Salmon, dressed (scales, head, tail, and fins are removed)
Brown sugar
Kosher salt
Liquid smoke

Split the salmon along the backbone. Remove the backbone and ribcage. Remove pin bones. Leave skin on. Slice each side into 2" sections.

Lay the pieces of salmon on a sheet pan; coat with brown sugar. Sprinkle with kosher salt & liquid smoke. Be generous with the sugar, salt and liquid smoke because you will be rinsing this off later. Cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate for at least 12 hours.

Rinse the salmon and pat dry. Place on cooling racks, skin side down, which have been sprayed with vegetable spray.

Place in a 150°F. oven, until the salmon flesh takes on a translucent look, leaving the door open a crack to let moisture out.

The smoking process should take 6-8 hours, depending the thickness of the pieces. (My oven only goes down to 170°F and this will work also; but, I do start checking for doneness after 5 hours.)

Refrigerate for short-term use or freeze airtight for longer storage. Once the fish is smoked, you can keep it wrapped up in the refrigerator for 10 days, or freeze it for up to 6 months. Vacuum seal the fish if you have access to a machine.

CJ’s tip: one more step that I have added to Marlene’s method is to dry the cured, brined fish before putting in the oven for smoking. The reason for this is you need to form a pellicle, which is a thin, lacquer-like layer on top of the fish that seals it and develops a sticky surface for the smoke to adhere to. (This works better when using a smoker for the fish also) The easiest way to achieve this is to put the racks of salmon in front of a fan and set it on low speed for 2 to 3 hours. Don't worry! The salt in the brine will protect your fish.

[attachment=19]