Cuisine at home Forums
Dinner Thread - 12/19/16 -- 12/25/16 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Dinner Thread - 12/19/16 -- 12/25/16 (/showthread.php?tid=181074)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Dinner Thread - 12/19/16 -- 12/25/16 - Gourmet_Mom - 12-25-2016

Merry Chistmas everyone!  

Last night we enjoyed our crab dip, spinach dip, and meat and cheese board.  Stayed up WAY too late playing games with the kids! But it was fun spending time with them!

We all got up late this morning to find that Jason had already put on the breakfast casserole prepared by Ashley yesterday.  While it finished cooking, we exchanged gifts with Jason before he had to leave to join his family.  He made us a GORGEOUS cutting board!  Jean, I think Roy will be impressed!  

I underestimated the amount of crab needed for dip and sauce, so Ashley and I thought we could make it work out.  I started the sauce for the Alexander sauce minus the onions, let it thicken a little , then added a generous portion of leftover crab dip and 8 ounces of the lump crab.  It was better than ever served over perfect fillet mignon for dinner!  YUM!

We all made it "home" safely and have spent a quiet night without having to cope with the usual aftermath.  NICE!  Angel

RE: Dinner Thread - 12/19/16 -- 12/25/16 - cjs - 12-26-2016

Hope you'll take a picture of the board, Daphne! And, your steak and crab sound so yummy!!

RE: Dinner Thread - 12/19/16 -- 12/25/16 - Mare749 - 12-26-2016

Well, for the first time in a long time, we didn't have to host Christmas Eve or day. Holly and Bob did a spectacular job with Christmas Eve and we had all the usual goodies that we make every year...honey-baked ham, cocktail meatballs, cocktail rye appetizers with sausage and cheese that my sister's husband makes, mixed fresh vegetables, fruit salad, cabbage and noodles that Heather's husband makes with Tommy along with fresh kielbasa from his favorite meat store, assorted breads, rolls, and apple pies that my sister bought in Amish country. I'm sure there was more, but can't remember. Katie and Abby helped with all of the food prep. Tommy and Alyssa helped set up 3 tables with all the place settings, wine glasses, water glasses filled, bread and roll baskets/butter for each table.

Yesterday, Heather's husband, James, cooked a turkey in his favorite cooking vessel, a Char-Broil, Big Easy oil-less turkey fryer. It's $80 on amazon. You have to use it outside because it runs on propane. The reason I'm mentioning this is because it was absolutely, hands down, THE BEST turkey we have ever eaten. We also had the rest of the ham, mashed potatoes, fresh vegetables, etc. Just wonderful. Ron and I were completely spoiled. Smile

darn! Just checked this out on Amazon and guess what! "You bought this on November 28, 2013."  Tongue  I remember I bought this while we were on the road for the year. It got buried in everything else when we got back here. I've got to get it out from wherever it is hiding!!!! I only used it a few times on the road, but loved everything I did cook in it.

I so miss my mind...... Confused

Sounds like a wonderful 'foodie' day with your family. Won't be long before the grandkids take over the whole shebang!! Smile

I feel like such an person!! Maryann, I'm so glad you mentioned the "Big Easy"!!! Just skewed my way thru all the stuff in our storage room and found it. Opened the wrapping and there it was. I just printed out the manual which I have no idea where mine is and I'm all set.

May even try a prime rib in it for New Years - I had planned on using Sous Vide, but now I'm torn................ Please give James a huge hug for me for using his!!!! Smile

RE: Dinner Thread - 12/19/16 -- 12/25/16 - Gourmet_Mom - 12-26-2016

Jean' you remember Tracie's thread about the oil less fryer?  I knew I remembered a discussion about something like that!  And I was so certain you had one!  LOL!  I had decided I had dreamed that!

So Maryann, give him a hug from me, too! Big Grin

RE: Dinner Thread - 12/19/16 -- 12/25/16 - Mare749 - 12-26-2016

Wow, isn't this something? I must have forgotten that you made that purchase, Jean, and now all the sudden, I am remembering it as clear as if it was yesterday! I am very tempted to purchase one for us just so I don't have to borrow his. This turkey was so incredibly moist.

Now, for the method...James said that following someone's instructions....I don't know whose...he put a dry brine of kosher salt on the turkey, no covering and placed in the fridge overnight on a rack. When it was time to cook, he sprinkled it with Tony C's "low sodium" Cajun seasoning then into the cooker it went.

For a 12 lb. turkey, I think he cooked it for 3 1/2 hours, but I don't remember exactly. He used a temperature probe so didn't have to watch it and just waited for it to beep. They have been using it for at least a year now and love it for poultry and fish, but are slightly less impressed with the pork and beef they have tried in it. If your sous vide is a tried and true method, I would stay with that for your prime rib.

This I'll be fun!