Cuisine at home Forums
How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? (/showthread.php?tid=181081)

Pages: 1 2

How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? - BarbaraS - 12-27-2016

How do you measure sweetened condensed milk?  I want to make a Key Lime Pie and the recipe calls for 3 cups.  Do I measure in cup versus a liquid measure?  Never had this problem before. Huh

Barbara

RE: How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? - Gourmet_Mom - 12-27-2016

Since I don't pay attention to how to measure stuff for cooking, I'm no help here.  Sorry, Barbara!

RE: How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? - Cubangirl - 12-27-2016

How big are your cans? Depending on brand they can be anywhere from 12 oz. to 16 oz. If they are 12 use 2. Most are 14 oz now. I use this for sticky liquids such as condensed milk, jam, honey, etc. adjust a cup . I have 3 sizes, but use the 2 cup the most. 

If you are using Eagle full fat condensed  1 cup weighs 312 g. for example. So you can weigh it. One more reason to have a good kitchen scale.

PS, 3 cups of condensed milk is a lot of sweetness. What are you making?

RE: How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? - Cubangirl - 12-27-2016

Daphne, If you don't measure when baking you can get very unexpected results, not usually good.

RE: How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? - Gourmet_Mom - 12-27-2016

Exactly, Alina!  Thus the reason I don't bake much!  Lol!  

But I do use a dry measure for dry, and liquid for liquid, but for liquid, I'll use a dry measure in a pinch.  Never the other way around.  Oh, and I weigh for bread.

But again, since I don't bake much, I'm hesitant to post for baking technique.

RE: How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? - cjs - 12-28-2016

I also go by the oz. in the can to decide how much. Haven't made a Key Lime pie forever! Smile

RE: How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? - BarbaraS - 12-28-2016

I used the Eagle brand 14 oz cans.  I googled and one site came up with 1 1/2 cups per 14 oz can.  So I used 2 cans to make a Key Lime pie.  Thanks!!

Barbara

RE: How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? - Gourmet_Mom - 12-28-2016

So how did the pie turn out?!?!

RE: How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? - cjs - 12-29-2016

yes, I'm still craving Smile

RE: How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? - Cubangirl - 12-29-2016

So now I want Key Lime Pie. Of course, it won't be real as I have no access to real FL key limes. So I'm going to make the next best thing. I'm curious about Barbara's pie. I think it would be too sweet for me, so I'm going to do the recipe below. It is great. I have an abundance of lemon thins (both from TJ's and Costco so I'll use those instead of graham crackers.

Here's my recipe:
KEY LIME PIE*****

Prepare the filling first so it can thicken during the time it takes to prepare the crust. Can use NO-WEEP MERINGUE TOPPING instead of whipped cream.  Bake pie only 7 minutes, then apply meringue gently, first spreading a ring around the outer edge, then filling in the center. Return to oven and bake 20 minutes more.

Oven Temperature: 325°F

Servings: 8

Preparation Time: 23 minutes
Cooking Time: 37 minutes
Inactive Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 5 hours

LIME FILLING
4 tsp. grated lime zest
½ cup lime juice from 3 to 4 limes
4 large egg yolks
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
5 oz. lemon crisp thins broken into chunks (will yield 1 cup crumbs)
2 TBS. granulated sugar
5 TBS. unsalted butter , melted
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
¾ cup heavy cream
¼ cup confectioners' sugar (1 oz.)
½ lime, sliced paper thin and dipped in sugar (optional)

FOR THE FILLING:

Whisk zest and yolks in medium bowl until tinted light green, about 2 minutes. Beat in milk, then juice; set aside at room temperature to thicken (about 30 minutes)

FOR THE CRUST:

Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 325° degrees.

Melt butter in microwave in measuring cup, about 2 -4 minutes.

In a min food processor, process the lemon thins cookies until evenly fine. You should have 1 cup crumbs. Add the sugar and pulse to combine. Continue to pulse while adding the warm melted butter in a steady stream; pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand.

Transfer the mixture into a 9" pie pan; press crumbs over bottom and up sides of pan to form even crust. Use thumbs and bottom of ½ cup measuring cup to square off the top of the crust.  Bake until fragrant, and beginning to brown about 15-18 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and cool completely minimum of 20 minutes.

Pour lime filling into crust; bake until center is set, yet wiggly when jiggled, 15 to 17 minutes. Return pie to wire rack; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours. (Can be covered with lightly oiled or oil-sprayed plastic wrap laid directly on filling and refrigerated up to 1 day.)

FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM:

Up to 2 hours before serving. whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks. Adding confectioners’ sugar 1 TBS. at a time, continue whipping to just-stiff peaks. Decoratively pipe whipped cream over filling or spread evenly with rubber spatula. Garnish with optional sugared lime slices and serve.

Recipe Type: Baking Illustrated, Desserts, Lime, Pies

Source: Baking Illustrated page 208