Cuisine at home Forums
DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 (/showthread.php?tid=181145)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 - cjs - 04-24-2017

Monday's Dinner, 4/24/27??

What's on the menu for today??

I'm going for either Black Bean Burritos or Twice-Baked potatoes - maybe combine the two. Smile

RE: DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 - Trixxee - 04-24-2017

Leftover pot roast with mushroom gravy for us, Michael has requested waffles and canadian bacon.

I need to come up with a lowish carb lunch.  If I have  ripe avocado, maybe 1/2 avocado topped with tuna salad.

RE: DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 - Mare749 - 04-24-2017

We are having a Middle Eastern Eggplant Bake from an old cookbook that I've had for years. It was first published in 1997, and I bought it used probably 10 years ago. Haven't made this recently, but we did like it very much.

Middle Eastern Eggplant Bake

1 medium eggplant, oven-roasted (page 260)
1 T. olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
2 garlic cloves, pressed
¾ lb. ground lamb
1 tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sweet paprika
¼ tsp. chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 14 1/2 oz. can Muir Glen diced tomatoes, including juice
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Pre-bake the eggplant and set aside. (See Tips) Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and when it's hot, add the onion. Sauté the onion until it's soft, then add the garlic and sauté another minute. Remove the onion mixture to a bowl and return the skillet to the heat.

2. Crumble the lamb into a hot pan and sauté until it's beginning to brown. Pour off any fat that's accumulated and add the spices, salt and pepper. Stir well and sauté until the lamb is completely brown. Return the onion mixture to the skillet, and add the tomatoes. Let simmer until most of the juices have evaporated.

3. In a large gratin dish, make a layer of eggplant slices. Cover with half the lamb mixture and crumble feta cheese on top. Add another layer of eggplant slices and the remaining lamb mixture. Sprinkle the top with the Parmesan.

4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.

Tips
Pre-bake the eggplant in a 425° oven by placing ½-inch slices on a well-oiled baking sheet for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper to taste.

Fran recommends ½ cup of oil, but that sounded a bit excessive to me, so I use much less.

Source
Author: Fran McCullough---The Low-Carb Cookbook

RE: DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 - Gourmet_Mom - 04-24-2017

Unless William shoots me down, we will probably have leftover pot roast, also, but I'm thinking of serving it over garlic toast to give it a little texture.  Open faced hot roast beef sandwiches were a real treat when I was a kid.

RE: DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 - Trixxee - 04-24-2017

The lamb dish sounds good.  So does a twice baked potato.  Wink

Maryann - tomorrow I'm making a new low carb soup - bacon, cheddar, cauliflower chowder.  Sort of like a load baked potato soup but you use cauliflower instead of potatoes.  I'll let you know how it is if you are interested in something like that.

RE: DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 - Mare749 - 04-24-2017

YES!!! Big Grin

RE: DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 - cjs - 04-24-2017

Well, today was put on hold as I walked into the Asian section of the grocery store this a.m. - Saw all the Sushi and B.B. burritos went right out of my head! Dumb time to go to the store - I was really hungry and came home with a container (8) pieces of sushi, a container of Orange chicken, one of Sweet & Sour Port, an egg roll...... geez talk about eyes bigger than the stomach!!

I heated up some rice and we dug in. Didn't even touch the sushi - we'll have them later for our snack. But, everything tasted so darn good!!!!

RE: DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 - Gourmet_Mom - 04-24-2017

Going to the grocery store is always dangerous, but somehow, that's how it is almost every time I go! Tongue

RE: DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 - cjs - 04-25-2017

Tuesday's Dinner, 4/25/17??

What's for dinner today?? 

I was planning on pizza, but I have to have sun spots removed first thing this a.m. and I didn't get a new sauce cooked yesterday, so may run out of time. So, I'm up in the air. Smile

RE: DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 - Mare749 - 04-25-2017

Jean, are you grilling yet? Or is it still rainy out there? Pizza on the grill.....yum.....

I went to the meat store this a.m. to pick up a few things and got a nice delmonico steak to grill along with some corn on the cob. Don't know where it's coming from, but it's been surprisingly good. Also picked up some more asparagus to go with.