Cuisine at home Forums
Cinco de Mayo (7 YEARS AGO!!)- May 8th - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Cinco de Mayo (7 YEARS AGO!!)- May 8th (/showthread.php?tid=18407)

Cinco de Mayo (7 YEARS AGO!!)- May 8th - cjs - 05-01-2006

And so our next dinner will be Mexican!!! Yeah! And it will be comprised of...

(you guys fill in the blanks and then please post the recipes from [Email]c@h[/Email], if you'd be so kind)

I will be making Margaritas -

BRENDARITAS (MARGARITAS) - THE BEST!

Brenda Horton was our realtor in California who became a very good friend - and could she ever cook Mexican food - she is Mexican and learned from her Mom. We named these in her honor because they are so good!

Fill a glass with ice, add 2/3 of the glass with Jose Cuervo Mix, add 1/2 (to 3/4) a shooter glass of tequila (preferably Patron, 100% de guave), a splash of contreau and orange juice.
Pour all into a shaker and shake, pour into a margarita glass.

And of course, that glass must have a salty rim!! (Oh good, I get to go shopping - my margarita glasses are in Washington...Pier 1 Imports, here I come!!

Re: Cinco de Mayo Dinner Menu - May 8th - Old Bay - 05-01-2006

You have to have guacamole--I posted a recipe a week or so ago-- can't remember the thread. You know we need a way to call up recipes.

Re: Cinco de Mayo Dinner Menu - May 8th - bjcotton - 05-01-2006

Here ya go Bill.

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post17975

You can do it by clicking on Search up near the top, and then putting a key word, like guacamole, beginning and ending with quotation marks. Then go down a little and adjust the time frame and click submit.

Thanks--I'm learning!! Here's another one--
Rotel Cheese Dip
1 small pkg Velvetta (the only thing I use it for!!)
1 can Rotel tomatoes w/ chili peppers
Melt cheese in microwave. Add tomatoes gradually and stir in. Don't melt all at once. When incorporated serve with chips. Quickest good tasting dip I've ever had.

Re: Cinco de Mayo Dinner Menu - May 8th - farnfam - 05-01-2006

What are Rotel tomatoes? Are they like grape tomatoes?

It's a brand . You can make your own by mixing chopped canned tomatoes with hot green chilis (chopped) and a little chopped yellow onion. Heat in a pot until chilis & onion soften--presto--"Rotel" tomatoes

We love that Rick Bayless Shrimp Serviche Tostado recipe, good to go with that and guacamole anytime. And I was also wondering if we might want to have multiple choices, Mexican ones of course, for non shrimp lovers etc. There's two Enchilada recipes, I can go find them if anyone's interested. I even remember a spinach burrito of sorts. And for dessert, anyone got a flán recipe?
Now if I can just find my piñata and sombrero, I'm all set.

Thanks Old Bay, that and guacamole duly noted

Re: Cinco de Mayo Dinner Menu - May 8th - cjs - 05-01-2006

"And for dessert, anyone got a flán recipe?" - well now, I just happened to have...(you knew that was coming, didn't you??? ...and as I've been known to say...this is wonderful!!

CREAM CHEESE FLAN (FLAN DE QUESO)

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via A Century of Ortega Classics
Serving Size : 8

3/4 cup granulated sugar
12 oz. can Carnation Evaporated Milk
14 oz. can Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened, cut into chunks
5 eggs

Place sugar in small, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over med-high heat, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 min. or till sugar is dissolved & golden. Quickly pour into eight 10-oz. custard cups,* tip cups to coat bottoms and sides with sugar syrup.

Place evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk & cream cheese in food processor or blender container; cover. Process until smooth. Add eggs; process till well mixed. Pour mixture into prepared cups. Place cups in two large baking pans; fill pans with hot water to 1" depth.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 min. or till knife inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove to wire racks to cool for 30 min.; chill for several hours or overnight. To serve, run small spatula around edges of cups; gently shake flans to loosen. Invert onto serving dishes to serve.

Description:
"You can make it up to two days ahead."
Source:
"A Century of Ortega Classics"

*To make one large flan, use one 2-qt. casserole dish instead of custard cups. Coat with melted sugar syrup & pour milk mixture into dish as above.
Place dish in large baking pan; fill pan halfway with hjot water. Bake in preheated 350 oven for 60-70 min. or til knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool, Chill; invert as above onto a platter. Slice into wedges.

Thanks cj, that sounds just perfect.
So now are we all set for a menu, I'm still a little foggy about exactly what we're doing (pre testing brendaritas). Shrimp Serviche or another choice? Old Bays sides sounded great. Could someone sorta list the whole menu for me in one place. Thanks (hic)