Cuisine at home Forums
Red Pepper Jelly - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Red Pepper Jelly (/showthread.php?tid=20503)

Red Pepper Jelly - Lorraine - 07-19-2006

This is best made when red peppers are in season, plentiful and cheap. The recipe never did say how many peppers you need, so I usual buy a 1/2 bushel and go to town. Wash them, cut them, devein them, seed them, and place in cuisinart. Process, on pulse, until they are smooth. I like them not too smooth, a bit of texture is nice. then:

2 Cups chopped red pepper
1 habenero
5 cups white sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Cup malt vinegar
1 bottle liquid Certo (I can't get the bottles, so I use 1 pouch)

Bring peppers, sugar, and vinegar to a boil, stirring often. Remove from heat and let sit 15 minutes.
Add lemon juice.
Put back on heat, bring to boil, and boil 2 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Add Certo. Stir well, and let stand 4 minutes.

While all of this is going on, sterilize your jars, lids, and covers, according to manufacturere's directions.
Add the hot jelly to the hot jars to within 1/4 inch, stir to remove air bubbles, wipe the rim clean, and seal jars.

These are not processed in a water bath.
I fold up an old bath towel, place the jars on it, then cover them with two more towels. Let cool 24 hours before labelling and storing.

I usually make some with one hot pepper in it, and some with a few. It all depends on how hot you like it.

I also make this recipe without the hot peppers. The hot one I only make to give away.

--------------------

Re: Red Pepper Jelly - cjs - 07-19-2006

lookin' good Lorraine! I've never used malt vinegar in mine...hmmmmmm - time to play.

Re: Red Pepper Jelly - farnfam - 07-19-2006

Thanks Lorraine, this sounds like exactly what I've been wanting. We like it on the hotter side to serve on creamcheese and crackers. Accompany with Margaritas out on the deck and you have a nice start to a "Mexican" flavored night.
Can't wait to see the hab recipe
Cis

Re: Red Pepper Jelly - esgunn - 07-20-2006

Looks great! I will have to try it. Our tomato chutney is also delish on cream cheese!

About how many jars does one recipe make? Do you use 4 or 8 oz jars? Erin

Re: Red Pepper Jelly - bjcotton - 07-20-2006

I don't know if I sent you this recipe Lorraine, maybe you'd like it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Red Pepper and Chipotle Jam

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Candy-Jelly/Jam-Syrup

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds sweet red bell peppers seeded and ribs re
1/2 pound canned chipotle chiles (not rinsed but so
3 cups cider vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
12 cups sugar (6 lbs)
2 boxes Pectin
lime juice

In a food processor, finely chop the peppers with 1/2 cup vinger.

Place in a non-reactive pan and add the rest of the vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Turn off heat. Measure out 6 cups and add the juice of 1 fresh lime and return to the pot.

Add the sugar and the pectin to the pan and stir to mix well. Bring back to a rolling boil and cook for 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit, taste for heat level and add additional Chipotle Tabasco if necessary to bring heat to the level you like.

Pour into sterilized hot jars and seal. Turn jars upside down for 5 minutes and then back right side up. Cool, label, and store in the pantry!

Description:
"Harborwitch - Sharon"
Yield:
"3 1/2 pints"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Makes 3 1/2 pints

Re: Red Pepper Jelly - Harborwitch - 07-20-2006

I made this one last year! Oh man is it good!

Re: Red Pepper Jelly - Lorraine - 07-20-2006

Erin, I'll check the recipe tonight, it's written on a scrap of paper, but hopefully it'll say.

Thanks, Billy!

Re: Red Pepper Jelly - Lorraine - 07-21-2006

Well, the recipe didn't say how much it makes. I use 250 ml jars, and I think I get 9 or 10 of them. I'll be making it soon, and this time will write it down and let you know. One thing about this recipe, it did not jell when I tried to double it.