Cuisine at home Forums
Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach (/showthread.php?tid=21420)

Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach - Roxanne 21 - 08-19-2006

This was incredibly tasty---wonderful as a side to something simple (steak or simply prepared chicken breasts).

Issue 55

I did half the recipe--only two of us--and was really fun to prepare. I served with steak and a salad--wonderful!!! I kept going back for "just another taste"---finally ran out (thank goodness) otherwise I would have to continue with my fasting!!!! Great dish!!! I give this a 10 as well----YUM!!

Re: Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach - dollop - 08-19-2006

Roxanne, I always seem to be the one to ask this...but would you mind posting this recipe for me, please? I sure would appreciate it! TIA

Re: Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach - cjs - 08-20-2006

I don't remember seeing this...sure sounds like one I would enjoy! Getting anxious to get home to my magazines...

Re: Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach - Roxanne 21 - 08-20-2006

Not a problem, dollop.

Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach

Makes One 9"Souffle
Total time: About 1 1/4 hours

Saute; remove:
2 strips thick sliced bacon, diced
Saute in 1 T. drippings; add:
1/2 cup onions diced
Pinch red pepper flakes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Gradually stir in; Add:
1 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
1 pkg. Boursin cheese (5.2 oz.)
1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
Salt, white pepper and ground nutmeg to taste
5 egg yolks
Reserved bacon pieces
Beat; Fold into base:
5 egg whites
1/4 t. cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees with a rack in the lower third. Generously grease a 9"souffle dish with softened butter, coat inside with 3 T. plain bread crumbs. Freeze the dish.

Saute bacon in a saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Pour off all but 1 T. drippings.

Saute onions and pepper flakes until onions are soft, 4-5 minutes, stirring often; add flour.
Gradually stir in milk, bring to a simmer, stirring often to prevent scorching. Reduce heat to low, then add Boursin, spinach, Parmesan and seasonings. Transfer to a large bowl along with the egg yolks; stir in the reserved bacon.
Beat egg whites and cream of tartar to stiff peaks in a bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed. Lighten the base with some of the whites, then carefully fold in the remaining whites.

Pour batter into the prepared dish, place the dish on a baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temp to 350 degrees and bake another 15-20 minutes. For the best presentation, serve souffle immediately.

DON'T OPEN OVEN IN FIRST 30 minutes--or it will fall!!!

This is a keeper-----wonderful for a brunch too--even if it deflates a bit.

Bon appetit!!!! BTW---if you have any questions regarding the instructions, please ask!!!

Re: Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach - dollop - 08-20-2006

Thank you sooo much! This looks yummy. I think I'll have to make this very soon!
Thank you so much, Roxanne.

Re: Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach - farnfam - 08-20-2006

MMM Roxanne, this looks so good, I can't wait to try it. Was this a C@H recipe? If so, please say which issue, thanks,
Cis

Re: Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach - Roxanne 21 - 08-21-2006

Yes---Issue 55 It is soooo good---can't stop with one bite!!

Re: Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach - Roxanne 21 - 08-21-2006

You're welcome----you will enjoy, for sure!!

Re: Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach - farnfam - 08-25-2006

Roxanne, everyone, I made this tonite! My first ever Souffle and it rose high and was light an delicious.
Thanks for bringing to my attetion Roxanne, it was ever sooo good.
Cis

Re: Bacon-Boursin Souffle with Spinach - bjcotton - 08-25-2006

Awright y'all, what category would I put this under? I don't have a category for "Sides"...Cakes-Pies-Cookies? Eggs-Dairy-Brkfst? Miscellaneous? I've never made a soufflé either Cis. Haven't the foggiest what a soufflé dish is.