Cuisine at home Forums
Smoked Salmon & Pea Fritters w/Scallion Sour Cream - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Smoked Salmon & Pea Fritters w/Scallion Sour Cream (/showthread.php?tid=21826)

Smoked Salmon & Pea Fritters w/Scallion Sour Cream - cjs - 09-04-2006

Tried this for brunch this morning - very good. I put my cast iron skillet on the grill and made these up outside, now my house doesn't smell like fritters!!!

I've been going thru so many magazines, I can't say where this came from to give credit.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Smoked Salmon & Pea Fritters with Scallion Sour Cream

1 cup sour cream
1 bunch scallions -- thinly sliced (white and green parts kept separate)
2 Tbs. capers -- drained, rinsed, and roughly chopped
2 large eggs
¾ cup whole milk
¼ lb smoked salmon -- cut into ¼" dice (about 3/4cup)
1 cup frozen peas (about 5 oz.)
5 ½ oz. (1¼ cups) all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
Kosher salt
¼ tsp. ground white pepper
1 ½ cups vegetable oil

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 200°F.

In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream with the scallion greens and capers.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Whisk in the milk.

Stir in the salmon, peas, and the white parts of the scallions. Add the flour, baking powder. 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and the white pepper to the egg mixture and whisk till well combined.

Pour the oil into a 10-inch skillet that's 2 inches deep (the oil should be about 1/2 inch deep) and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. (A good way to tell if the oil is hot enough is to drop a 1 -inch cube of bread in the oil; it should turn golden brown in about 30 seconds.)

Add the batter to the oil one heaping tablespoon at a time. Cook the fritters in batches of six (don't crowd the pan) until golden brown on the first side, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spatula or spoon, turn and cook until the second side is golden brown, about 2 minutes.

Transfer the fritters to a rimmed baking dish lined with paper towels and keep warm in the oven. Continue to cook the remaining fritters. Serve hot with the scallion sour cream. I also served these with Asian Sweet Chili Sauce

Yields about 18 fritters.

Re: Smoked Salmon & Pea Fritters w/Scallion Sour Cream - bjcotton - 09-04-2006

Did I ever give you a package of ground clams? I think I did. They make very good, very rich fritters. Best fixed outside cause they do smell up the house.

Re: Smoked Salmon & Pea Fritters w/Scallion Sour Cream - cjs - 09-05-2006

yes, you did and yes, I have!! And, I love corn fritters also. (I guess I just love fritters...well, they're all fried, what's not to love)