Cuisine at home Forums
need advice- food/ beer pairing, please! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: need advice- food/ beer pairing, please! (/showthread.php?tid=22367)

need advice- food/ beer pairing, please! - foodfiend - 09-24-2006

I am trying to decide which appetizer/ finger foods to serve with a "punkin ale"
(A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin, spices, and brown sugar. Perfect to warm-up with, as the season cools.
Tasting Notes: Malty, pumpkin, caramel, brown sugar.)

Whatever I choose to serve will have to be non-red meat (poultry & fish ok), served cool or at room temp, and relatively portable. I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

Re: need advice- food/ beer pairing, please! - DFen911 - 09-25-2006

For meats turkey. If you can have red meat that isn't beef then lamb.

Do you want something fancy or quick and easy?

Re: need advice- food/ beer pairing, please! - Half_Baked - 09-25-2006

Empanadas are quick and easy. Lorraine was just talking about them and I believe she makes them with turkey thighs.

I think cheese would go with it...thinking about pumpkin cheesecakes. How do these sound? When I get back from errands, I'll go through some recipes:

Hot Crab Spread 1

1- 8oz pkgs cram cheese, doftened
1/2 - 1 lb crab
2 t diced onion
1 T milk
1 T horseradish
squirt of lemon - to taste
sprinkle with a bit of worchestershire

Mix well an sprinke and spread it in a pie plate
Sprinkle w/ chopped pecans

Heat at 350 until hot (about 15 min)

This can be kept in the frig overnight before heating.

Crab Spread 2

1 lb crab
1 1/2 c mayo
2 T horseradish
1/2 jar capers
1/2 t accent
dash of tabasco
1/2 lb grated cheese

Gently mix 1st 6 ingredients. Spread in pie plate.
Sprinkle cheese on top and pull some cheese through the dip. Bake at 350, uncovered for 20-25 min.

Olive Tarts - can be made far in advance

2 c sharp american cheese, grated
1/2 c softened butter
1 c all purpose flour
1/2 t salt
1 t paprika
48 stuffed olives

Blend cheese w/ butter. Stir in flour, salt, paprka and mix well. Wrap 1 t of this mixture around each olive, covering it completely. Arrange on a baking sheet and freeze. Place in plastic bags and return to freezer.

To serve, bake frozen, at 400 for 15 minutes.

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...age=0#Post21091

Has great recipes!

Re: need advice- food/ beer pairing, please! - Bizymomma - 09-25-2006

oooh, maybe some roasted pumpkin seeds as a treat! mmm

Re: need advice- food/ beer pairing, please! - foodfiend - 09-25-2006

Thanks everyone. I like the pumpkin seeds idea! The crab dip sounds good, but since that is to be served hot, it won't work in this situation (although I've downloaded the recipe for another time!). Denise, I was thinking about savory appetizers, quick and easy. We're going to be "boating" and I will need to take these, and the beer, in a cooler.
Thanks for the link, too, Jan! And the empanada suggestion as well, but these are probably best served hot, correct?
Any more suggestions?
(BTW, my husband and I do not eat red meat, ie. beef, pork, lamb, etc, but we do eat poultry so the turkey ideas are great!)

Re: need advice- food/ beer pairing, please! - cjs - 09-26-2006

I'm a little late to the party here, but I'll add my two cents - the first is a Paula Deen recipe that we really enjoyed -

* Exported from MasterCook *

TOMATO TARTS

TOMATO TARTS
PAULA DEEN
These tarts smell so delicious when they are cooking, your guests will want to pluck them straight from the pan, but you need to let them cool or you'll burn your tongue! You'll need a biscuit cutter for this recipe; take it with you when you shop for the tomatoes, so your tomatoes and pastry rounds are the same size
1 sheet Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry
Olive oil
½ cup grated white Cheddar cheese
4 or 5 Italian plum tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch slices
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped fine
Approximately ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray.

2. Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and allow it to thaw for 20 minutes. Unfold the pastry on the counter, and using a 1 ½ - or 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out rounds of dough. Place the puff pastry rounds on the prepared baking sheet. Prick the surface of the pastry with a fork. Brush each round lightly with olive oil and top with a small amount of the Cheddar cheese, then with a tomato slice. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste over the tomato, then sprinkle on a pinch of thyme and about 1 teaspoon of Parmesan cheese.
3. Bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.

Makes~24 tarts, depending on size of the cutter.
-------

SMOKED SALMON TARTS

Recipe: a Chef's Journey

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 piecrusts -- refrigerated, 9"
1 1/2 cups half and half
4 eggs -- beaten
1/4 pound salmon -- smoked & chopped
2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese -- shredded
1/4 cup green onions -- minced
1/2 teaspoon dillweed -- dried, whole
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Cut each piecrust into 14 circles, using a 2 1/2" round cutter. Place rounds in greased miniature (1 3/4") muffin cups; trim excess pastry.

Combine 1/2 & 1/2 and eggs in medium bowl; stir w/wire whisk till well blended.
Stir in salmon & remaining ingredients.

Spoon 1 T. salmon mixture into each pastry shell. Bake at 375 for 25-30 min. or till set.
Remove from pans, & cool on wire racks.

TO STORE: Freeze tarts in a labeled airtight container up to 2 weeks.
TO SERVE: Thaw at room temp. Place on baking sheets; cover and bake at 375 for 5-10 min. or till hot.

Yield:
"4 dozen"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oh my, just ran across this one that I have yet to try - it's on my 'list' - this sounds wonderful and I bet it would be good with your beer. I would love to give credit, but I have no idea where this came from. Now, let's see if I can beat you to making it...

Turkey Tartlets with Cranberry Salsa

Serving Size : 24

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound ground turkey
1/4 cup onion -- chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/3 cup light sour cream
24 frozen mini tart shells

CRANBERRY SALSA
1 cup fresh cranberries
OR
1 cup frozen cranberries
1/3 cup sugar
2 green onions
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
1 lime -- grated and juiced
2 teaspoons chopped ginger root
1 jalapeño pepper -- sliced

Place frozen tart shells on a cookie sheet. Bake at 375º F for 10 minutes or until slightly golden around edges.

Combine turkey, onion, thyme, salt and pepper in a non-stick skillet heated to medium-high.

Sauté until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, mix egg and sour cream together, stir into meat mixture. Fill tart shells; bake at 400 Degree. F for 12-15 minutes. Serve warm topped with salsa.

Cranberry Salsa Directions: Combine cranberries, sugar, onion, coriander, lime juice, rind, ginger root and jalapeño pepper in food processor bowl. Pulse on/off until mixture is chopped (not puréed). Cover and chill at least 2 hours or up to 1 week.
Yield:
"24 Mini tarts"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Re: need advice- food/ beer pairing, please! - foodfiend - 09-26-2006

Whoa! What ideas!!
As good as the tomato tarts and the salmon tarts sound, those turkey tartlets would be really great with this beer (I think). Thanks so much for the suggestions!!!