Cuisine at home Forums
Storing cast iron skillets - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Storing cast iron skillets (/showthread.php?tid=22540)

Storing cast iron skillets - Bizymomma - 09-28-2006

How do you guys store your cast iron skillets? I have 3 that I have recently reseasoned and was unsure of whether or not I should stack them nest style, or keep them separated.

Re: Storing cast iron skillets - TwilightKitten - 09-28-2006

I have mine stacked with paper towels (though dish towels would probably be better) between them to absorb any moisture. They seem to be ok that way...well, so far anyway!

Re: Storing cast iron skillets - Old Bay - 09-28-2006

That's what we do. For years.

Re: Storing cast iron skillets - farnfam - 09-28-2006

Mine are hung up on a pot rack. I don't know if it keeps them any better than another method, but it looks pretty

Re: Storing cast iron skillets - vannin - 09-28-2006

I hang mine from a pot rack too.

Re: Storing cast iron skillets - cjs - 09-29-2006

I have a couple on the pot rack - the rest are nested upside down on a wire rack shelving.

Re: Storing cast iron skillets - bjcotton - 09-29-2006

I keep those that will fit nested in my second oven [which we never use since it's so small] and the rest nested in a cupboard.

I'm about to scrub one of mine down with steel wool..got it back from my older sis and it's sticky...no soap, just hot water and steel wool, and reseason it.

Re: Storing cast iron skillets - Roxanne 21 - 09-29-2006

This is a GREAT question, Bizzymomma. I have mine stacked in a cupboard beneath my grill/gas hobs---these are separate from my main electric stove top. I have noted that when I make a "cornbread" in the cast iron pan the end result tastes "tinny" ---may be that is why I prefer the northern style cornbread that is baked in the oven.

Now I will go and re-season my pans--place towels in between (I have three) and try again. Interesting thread!! They are great for blackened fish etc.--just not bready thingys---yet!!!

Re: Storing cast iron skillets - foodfiend - 09-29-2006

I have two, a 12" and a 6" and I keep them both in paper bags in my base cabinet with my other pots and pans.

Re: Storing cast iron skillets - bjcotton - 09-30-2006

I think storing them in a paperbag is a good idea. Other than the ones in the oven, I think I'll do that...I have a bunch, plus 2 cast iron Dutch ovens.