Cuisine at home Forums
Making Things in Quantity - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Making Things in Quantity (/showthread.php?tid=22616)

Making Things in Quantity - bjcotton - 09-30-2006

Have any of you made things in quantity intending to freeze most of it for later use? A couple of days ago I made 6 dozen golfball size meatballs for later use. I used the recipe from the Sopranos cookbook for Sunday Gravy. It calls for 1 pound of meat and I made 5 pounds of meat..and of course I messed with the recipe.

Re: Making Things in Quantity - foodfiend - 09-30-2006

Wow, six dozen meatballs! That certainly is quantity!
Since it's just DH and me, if I make something that is time-intensive, like meatballs, I will triple the recipe and freeze the extras. I also grill several chicken breasts at a time (no sense heating up the grill for 2) and freeze them. They're great for quick lunches or dinners.

COOL! With this post I become a "newbie" and can leave that disconcerting "stranger" behind...

Re: Making Things in Quantity - bjcotton - 09-30-2006

Foodfiend, do you have a FoodSaver? I buy many things in bulk, saving money, and then portion and vacuum pack then freeze them. When it's just my sis and I at home, I just thaw one package; when her hubby, the 800 pound gorilla, is home I thaw two packages. It's also great for leftovers.

Re: Making Things in Quantity - cjs - 10-01-2006

"Have any of you made things in quantity intending to freeze most of it for later use?"

...all my life...

Re: Making Things in Quantity - Half_Baked - 10-01-2006

ditto Jean.

I used to always double the recipe to freeze the extra for the next week or so.

Re: Making Things in Quantity - bjcotton - 10-01-2006

Quote:

"Have any of you made things in quantity intending to freeze most of it for later use?"

...all my life...

At Jean's "Last Party on the Hill" I mentioned that there must have been 40 or 50 people there and she said something like, "oh, this is nothing, we frequently have about 100-200 people here wandering all over the place." No wonder you always cook in quantity Jean

Re: Making Things in Quantity - foodfiend - 10-01-2006

Quote:

Foodfiend, do you have a FoodSaver? I buy many things in bulk, saving money, and then portion and vacuum pack then freeze them. When it's just my sis and I at home, I just thaw one package; when her hubby, the 800 pound gorilla, is home I thaw two packages. It's also great for leftovers.

Well, I've never considered a Foodsaver because of the plastic that is wasted. I admit it. I'm very weird that way. I use ziploc freezer bags, suck the air out with a straw, then wash and reuse them until the zipper-thing falls off. It just makes me feel better.

Re: Making Things in Quantity - Bizymomma - 10-01-2006

Foodfiend,
I reuse all of my foodsaver bags! They are dishwasher safe! I don't know how I've made it without one all this time! Something to defenitely consider!
I will save more money in a year than it cost!

Re: Making Things in Quantity - foodfiend - 10-01-2006

Quote:

Foodfiend,
I reuse all of my foodsaver bags! They are dishwasher safe! I don't know how I've made it without one all this time! Something to defenitely consider!
I will save more money in a year than it cost!

Really? You can reuse the bags? Oh my...

Re: Making Things in Quantity - Bizymomma - 10-01-2006

Yep! When you cut them open, you'll lose a little space, but I just turn mine inside out, wash them and they're good to go again!