Cuisine at home Forums
Pita bread - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Pita bread (/showthread.php?tid=23543)

Pita bread - Bizymomma - 10-17-2006

Cis,
Have you posted your recipe for pita bread? If not, will you when you have time?

Re: Pita bread - farnfam - 10-17-2006

Glad you asked Angela dear,
You will need:
1 C of warm water (85 - 115 f)
* 2 scant teaspoons of active dry yeast
* 1 tsp salt
* approximately 1 ½ to 2 C all purpose flour.
Place all dry ingredients in a bowl or food processor. Gradually add water til dough forms. Knead about 5mins by hand, 45seconds in machine. Divide into 12 pieces,raise in plastic covered bowl til double, roll flat into circles and let rest @10min. Heat a cast iron pan quite hot and set one circle on, flip often it should *PUFF* before too long, but sometimes some don't. They're done when they're lightly brown and puffed (or not). Cover with plastic and keep warm til ready to serve (but not too long)
Hope you have fun
Cis

Re: Pita bread - Bizymomma - 10-17-2006

Sweet! Thanks!

If I wanted to make whole wheat, would the flour amount stay the same?

Re: Pita bread - Roxanne 21 - 10-17-2006

Now that is a VERY different recipe from mine--I will try this and see what the difference is---I kind of like mine baked though. Sounds like a fun experiment!!

Thanks, Cis

Roxanne.
Go ahead and post yours too! I'm curious to see the difference!

I think about the same, but maybe a bit less. Whole wheat tends to be drier IMHO. So either a little less flour or a bit more liquid. How about half white and half wheat flours, they'd be softer and nicer that way. Btw, I think I use high glute flour for these, but I can't remember darn!

Me too Rox, I'd like to see how others do theirs. Mine is kinda made it up as I learned it type thing. Lets see yours

Re: Pita bread - cjs - 10-17-2006

Me too - I haven't made these since the days I wanted the kids to see how every darn thing under the sun was made/grown/whatever....don't think the kids ever gave a rat's a$$ tho.

Anyway, it's time to get back to the Mother Earth thang.

Re: Pita bread - aardvarknav - 10-17-2006

The San Francisco Chronicle ran an excellent article on flatbreads on 11 October. It ought to be available for awhile at:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/10/11/FDGHMLJPVP1.DTL
Can't wait for the cookbook they mention to come out.