Cuisine at home Forums
C@H Splendid Soups' corn cakes - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: C@H Splendid Soups' corn cakes (/showthread.php?tid=23618)

C@H Splendid Soups' corn cakes - Half_Baked - 10-18-2006

On pg 83 there is a recipe for Corn Cakes. I was thinking about putting some corn kernels into the batter but then I got to thinking, could I put the cornmeal in boiling creamed corn and have a really nice little cake?

1 c cornmeal
1 T jalapenos
1 t kosher salt
1 1/4 c boiling water
4 T oil, divided

Re: C@H Splendid Soups' corn cakes - Roxanne 21 - 10-18-2006

What's "biling" water???? Can't answer your question but thought I'd poke fun!!!

Re: C@H Splendid Soups' corn cakes - Half_Baked - 10-18-2006

great proof reading!!! I'll go fix it.

Re: C@H Splendid Soups' corn cakes - cjs - 10-18-2006

hmmmm, I can see adding corn kernals to the basic recipes, but adding cornmeal to cream corn???

I was thinking you might try making half the recipe with less water/stock and then thin out (with cream corn) to 'corn cake' consistency...but, looking at the recipe, it looks like it's going to be very thick as is. When I make polenta, I use (normally) 4 to 1 or 6 to 1 water to cornmeal.

Theirs calls for almost 1 to 1 - that's going to be thick. What do other polenta makers think??

But corn kernals would be really good addition, I would think, Jan. Let us know how it turns out.

Re: C@H Splendid Soups' corn cakes - Half_Baked - 10-18-2006

Since it will be so thick, maybe I'll just add a cup of creamed corn and see what happens. Or maybe I'll roast some ears on the grill and just add those smoky kernels.

I'm just planning some weekend meals.

Re: C@H Splendid Soups' corn cakes - cjs - 10-18-2006

What's not to like in that - I love adding corn kernals to cornbread.

Re: C@H Splendid Soups' corn cakes - bjcotton - 10-18-2006

And the jalapenos...yum