Cuisine at home Forums
Cran-Apple Chutney - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Cran-Apple Chutney (/showthread.php?tid=23636)

Cran-Apple Chutney - Bizymomma - 10-18-2006

I've never fixed chutney's before, but I found this recipe in the current month's issue of All You. It sounded good, so I'm givin' it a try! I'm going to serve it with a pork loin I'm going to cook quickly under high heat! Wish me luck!! LOL (only cause me and the monitoring station are on a one on one basis) LOL, I keep spilling things in the bottom of my oven, then forget, BAM...smoke. My smoke detectors keep going off and they keep calling to ask if I'm okay. However, they must have made a notation on my account cause now they ask if I'm cooking! LMAO

Re: Cran-Apple Chutney - cjs - 10-18-2006

angela, just for comparison, here's Lorraine's that is just delicious - hope you'll post yours also, can never have too many chutney ideas!!! (fincher is a friend who had a question) Hope this is alright with you, lolly!!

Lorraine

Cranberry Apple Chutney

I made this one to give away as gifts last Christmas. Now, I always have some on hand. It goes well with chicken , turkey, duck, pork. I used it on the cheese and fruit platter last weekend.

2 tsp (10 ml) vegetable oil
1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp (15 ml) minced peeled ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 cups (625 ml) cranberries about 10 oz (300g) bag
1 medium apple, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
3/4 cup (175 ml) brown sugar
1/2 cup (75 ml) apple cider
1/4 cup (50 ml) cider vinegar
1/2 tsp (2ml) salt
1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground ginger i use 1 Tbsp fresh grated
Pinch of hot red chili flakes
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oinion, ginger, and garlic, cook for several minutes until softened slightly. Add remaining ingredients.

Cover, increase heat and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 25 - 35 minutes, or until chutney has thickened. Let cool.

Makes 2 cups.

I quadruple the batch, sterilize 250 ml jars, add hot chutney to hot jar, process in water bath 10 minutes.

Fincher
what do the two gingers do? I have never used fresh and dry ginger in the same dish, does it provide a differant flavor profile?

Lorraine
I've done it with both. I find the dried ginger more subtle. I really like the taste of the fresh, and actually add more than recipe calls for. This is a recipe you can really play around with. As are most chutneys.

Re: Cran-Apple Chutney - Bizymomma - 10-18-2006

My chutney is done cooking. It's just me and Joel tonight, so there will be a lot leftover. How long will it keep, or what should I do with the leftovers?

Re: Cran-Apple Chutney - Bizymomma - 10-18-2006

Here's the recipe:

4 medium Royal Gala apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2" cube
1 onion, coarsely chopped
2/3 c. light brown sugar
1/3 c. apple juice or apple cider
2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
2 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1 c. fresh/frozen cranberries

Prehead oven to 400 degrees.
Place apples and all ingredients EXCEPT cranberries into a 9 X 13 glass baking dish. Spread evenly in dish.

Bake, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Stir in the cranberries and bake until softened, about 20 more minutes.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

Re: Cran-Apple Chutney - Lorraine - 10-18-2006

Thank you, Jean!! I was going to go running for the recipe! Come closer to Christmas, I process this one in a water bath for 10 minutes. Makes a great gift!We eat it with turkey, pork, chicken, it's great on sandwhiches.

Re: Cran-Apple Chutney - Roxanne 21 - 10-19-2006

These recipes are interesting indeed---sure wish I could purchase cranberries here---sigh!!! Maybe I will have some sent in the next care package. My son is on Nantucket--cranberry season there!!

Re: Cran-Apple Chutney - cjs - 10-19-2006

Oh Angela, it's also wonderful with cheese and cracker - just a dollop (pardon me, 'dollop'... )

great added to plain rice, orzo, etc. and l/o mashed potatoes made into patties and baked or fried. Added to a pasta salad adds a nice little kick, too. Chutneys are your friend.

...oh, and great as a baked potato toppiing - bet the kids would like that also.

Re: Cran-Apple Chutney - dollop - 10-19-2006

...no problem at all...I love a good chutney!

Re: Cran-Apple Chutney - Lorraine - 10-19-2006

"How long will it keep, or what should I do with the leftovers?"

If I'm making just one batch ( like this one) I store the leftovers in a jar in the fridge. I've kept it at least a month.

The nice thing about making chutneys, is that many can be made year round, as they are not deopendant on things like fresh berries. Many are made with fruits that are available year round.