Cuisine at home Forums
Eggplant recipe from New Issue - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Eggplant recipe from New Issue (/showthread.php?tid=24214)

Eggplant recipe from New Issue - piano226 - 10-28-2006

Hi Guys,

PLease help oh help. SO I was suppose to have a few people over for dinner...and they cannot make it. Meanwhile I bought 3 eggplants to make this persian eggplant dip..I can give a recipe to anybody who wants it...but be warned you have have a persian market near by since one of the ingredients you cannot get in a regular store....

Anyways, can somebody post the recipe of that eggplant dish...I have to use mine with something.

Thanks

Re: Eggplant recipe from New Issue - Half_Baked - 10-28-2006

No mag here yet. These recipes are NOT tried.

Here's recipes from Food Network: http://tinyurl.com/y2ty7o

Here's another: http://teriskitchen.com/vegetable/eggplant-g.html

Re: Eggplant recipe from New Issue - Bizymomma - 10-28-2006

Eggplant Rollatini
(Cuisine at home, December 2006, Issue 60, p. 15)
Makes: 6 Rollatinis, ;2 Cups Sauce Total Time: 1 1/4 Hours Rating: Easy

For the Eggplant—
Prepare; Brush with:
1 eggplant (1 lb.)
3 T. olive oil
Salt and pepper

For the Filling—
Combine:
1/2 cup soft goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup whole milk ricotta
1 t. fresh lemon juice
1/2 t. lemon zest, minced
1/2 t. minced fresh thyme
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1/4 t. kosher salt

For the Sauce—
Heat; Add and Simmer:
2 T. olive oil
1/4 cup onion, grated
1 T. garlic, minced
1 cup Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
2 T. dry white wine
2 t. tomato paste

Puree:
Sweated vegetable mixture
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup heavy cream

For the Topping—
Assemble; Top with:
Prepared sauce
4 slices fresh mozzarella (2 oz.)
1 T. almonds, chopped

Preheat oven to 450°; line a baking sheet with a cooling rack.

Prepare the eggplant by first cutting off the stem, then slicing lengthwise into six slices, about 1/4"-thick (see Online Video). Lay slices on the prepared baking rack, brush with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 8 minutes per side, remove from oven, cover with foil (do not turn off oven).

Combine all ingredients for the filling in a bowl; set aside.

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, bell pepper, wine, and tomato paste. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until peppers are soft, 10–12 minutes, stirring often.

Puree vegetables in a food processor with the basil and heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper.

Assemble by spooning about 1/4 cup sauce on the bottom of two small casserole dishes or 2/3 cup in a 9x 9" baking dish. Spread 2 T. of filling on each eggplant slice, roll, then place them seam-side down in the prepared baking dishes. Top rolls with more sauce, mozzarella, and almonds. Bake until golden, 15–20 minutes.

Re: Eggplant recipe from New Issue - Half_Baked - 10-28-2006

Oh that does sound good. Roxanne, so before you would bake it in the oven, would you degorge it?

Roxanne - "Are you guys "degorging" (I think that's the term??) the eggplant before preparing??? That means slicing, putting in a colander and sprinkling salt over--let sit for about two hours for the juices to run out. This will eliminate the bitterness that you speak of. The slices are then dried--meaning juices squeezed out-- before further cooking. I do this by placing the slices in a single layer on a doubled paper towel. Cover with another layer of paper towels---using the heel of my hand, I press down and voila--juices gone!!"

Re: Eggplant recipe from New Issue - piano226 - 10-28-2006

Great thank you so much...for the recipe...let me know if anybody is interested in the persian recipe...came from the persian family actually.

We love the stuff.

Thanks again

Re: Eggplant recipe from New Issue - Roxanne 21 - 10-28-2006

Absolutely---before you cook in any manner--always degorge--still not sure if that's the correct terminology but--

I understand that the new generation of eggplant does not require this step but I do it anyway--sooo much better. The eggplant also absorbs less of the olive oil or whatever you use if this step is followed, an added benefit.

Re: Eggplant recipe from New Issue - farnfam - 10-28-2006

Hi Marina, I think you will love the Rollatini! I didn't "degorge", but you might want to just in case, it could help. I would recommend that you pan fry for 8min per side instead of in the oven. I think it would greatly improve the eggplant flavor. My cookie sheet in the oven, first try, didn't seem done enough. There's a good little video showing how to slice and roll the eggplant. If you need it, I can post the link (Tammy sent it to me and it's very helpful).
Cis