Cuisine at home Forums
Mystery Box Help - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Mystery Box Help (/showthread.php?tid=24470)

Mystery Box Help - DFen911 - 11-03-2006

Ok finals are next week for our protein segment. On Monday we are getting a mystery box. The only item we know it will contain is a whole chicken that we will have to fabricate. No clue as to the other ingredients.

We have to use the items and make a meal and write it up like it was a menu item.

Now I'm thinking something light. I will assume the box will contain items we've used like fingerling potatoes, peppers. But we'll probably have access to the pantry meaning I can get my hands on some rice etc.

Any ideas? I know this is tough. I was thinking about something on the Asian theme like a honey ginger chicken salad. But I'm not sure if we'll get the greens. We might get brussel sprouts (bleh)

Ok all you creative wonderful people - let your juices flow

Re: Mystery Box Help - cjs - 11-03-2006

First of all I'd say make sure you are up on all the different ways to fabricate your chicken - they may ask for a specific cut.

one idea - a dry rub(5-spice, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder) under the skin - let rest as long as possible.

Then maybe baste with a mixture of - hoisinsauce, rice wine, honey, minced garlic and ginger? while roasting?

Oh, this would look nice esepcially if a half chix. Laid over some take off on a rice dish...crunchy, fruity...lemme think. (cilantro/mint rice?)

Or serve the chix with - rice in lettuce cups
or chix three ways - with rice in lettuce cups, and a moo shu chix wrap, and a ................ hot & sour soup???

Oh, how fun this is - I'll shut up now or I'll end up going home and doing this... have fun Denise!!

Re: Mystery Box Help - Roxanne 21 - 11-03-2006

I wish I had a better idea of what this is all about and then I might be able to contribute----being in the third world hasn't helped my thought processes too much but I will give this some thought and see what I can come up with---BUT Jean is the wizard!!! Why not some type of Asian chicken salad too?? Change the spices a little bit and you have chicken wraps/fajitas------the mystery, interesting concept. How awesome is that---I couldn't do that!!! You'll have fun and do yourself proud!!! Just know it---

Re: Mystery Box Help - pjcooks - 11-03-2006

Nerves aside, this sounds like so much fun! At the moment, I can't think of anything different than what's already been said (this has been a long week) but when my brain unfrazzles, maybe I'll have a thought.

And, good advice, Jean, about the chicken fabrication. I wouldn't have thought about that.

Good luck and ENJOY!

PJ

Re: Mystery Box Help - DFen911 - 11-04-2006

Jean this sounds wonderful. The hardest part is we don't know what grain we'll get or what veggies. I'm trying to plan for an asian theme, latin and southern. I would love to keep the recipe light and not too heavy.

I'm guessing there will be potatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers, maybe a citrus, a winter squash like butternut.

The chicken we have to fabricate into 2 breasts, 2 legs, 2 thighs, but we can cook them up however we want.

I'm looking forward to the mystery box. I'll also be interested to see what the others come up with. Some have a lot of creative talent in the class. I plan on tasting everyones