Cuisine at home Forums
Chinese Chicken Salad - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Chinese Chicken Salad (/showthread.php?tid=24621)

Chinese Chicken Salad - Roxanne 21 - 11-07-2006

Issue 45 Page 18 (I think)

Okay Jan--this is one of our favorites from [Email]C@H[/Email] -- tasty, light, not too much fuss but takes longer than the 45 minutes they allowed---make extra, it's worth it!!

CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
Makes 10 cups; Total time: 45 minutes

For the chicken---
Poach:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pounds)
3 TBS soy sauce
Water

For the dressing---
Combine:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup cilantro leaves (I use Italian parsley)
3 TBS rice wine vinegar
2 TBS Asian sesame oil
2 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS fresh ginger, minced
Pinch cayenne

For the toppings---
Toast:
2 TBS sesame seeds
Melt; Add:
1 TBS unsalted butter
2/3 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup dark brown sugar

To assemble---
Toss with the dressing:
1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
1 1/2 cups chow mein noodles
3 carrots, grated
Poached chicken
Garnish with:
Toasted sesame seeds
Caramelized almonds

Poach chicken in a medium saucepan with soy sauce and just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes. Remove chicken; cut into bite sized pieces.
Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
Toast sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until golden, stirring often. Remove from the pan and cool.
Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add almonds and saute until golden, about 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and stir until melted and combined. Spread on foil to cool--it will harden like candy, after cooling, crumble.
Toss lettuce, noodles, carrots and chicken with dressing to coat.
Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and caramelized almonds.

OPTION

Sesame Fried Chicken
For a crunchy alternative to the poached chicken (and not as healthy but ohhh sooo good!!!), top the salad with [Email]C@H[/Email] golden fried chicken chunks.

Makes 3 cups
Total time 1 1/4 hours

Marinate:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 cup buttermilk
Whisk; Coat Chicken in:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 TBS sesame seeds
2 Tsp paprika
2 tsp kosher salt
Fry in:
Vegetable or corn oil

Marinate chicken in buttermilk for 1 hour in the fridge.
Whisk together flour mixture; toos chicken pieces to coat.
Fry chicken in batches (2 or 3) in oil heated to 360 degrees F; drain on paper towels.

This was created by a firefighter in San Francisco---Terry Woo (Airport Rescue 1). The recipe and many other great ones are in a book "Firehouse Food" ---the proceeds of the book purchase go to the firefighters fund post 911.

I have made both versions and they are both great--I lean a little more toward the fried version for the texture but you can't beat either one for a delicious meal!! Those almonds are the ultimate topper!! We don't have ready made chow mein noodles here so I make my own which adds a little more time---don't leave them out!!

Let us know what you think----please!!!

Re: Chinese Chicken Salad - Half_Baked - 11-07-2006

Roxanne, that will be my favorite new chicken salad, I believe. Undoubtably I will enjoy the fried chicken on top much more than the poached.

Thank you so much!

Re: Chinese Chicken Salad - farnfam - 11-07-2006

Roxanne, I remember this recipe from that issue(it was a while back wasn't it). Somehow it seems more inviting than ever now
Would you explain how to make your own chow mein noodles, if you get a minute sometime?
Cis

Re: Chinese Chicken Salad - Roxanne 21 - 11-07-2006

Darn---I forgot to mention issue-----45.

Anyway the noodles are those dried ones found in those little side packages when buying take out. Made these by accident one day---lucky day!!!

Just boil up a bunch of Chinese egg noodles--they usually come in a cellophane packet with four "cakes". About 5 minutes should do it then rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Heat up some veg/corn/peanut oil (which ever you prefer)and FRY the cooked noodles. Once they hit the hot oil they will sink then quickly rise to the top---you will be able to see how quickly they brown and you must pay attention otherwise they are burnt!!! Just remove to a paper towel for draining and there you have it---easy. They will also last for a very long time in a tupperware type bowl.

Re: Chinese Chicken Salad - cjs - 11-07-2006

Great idea Roxanne - happen to have some of the noodles in the pantry.