Cuisine at home Forums
Master Cook Software - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Master Cook Software (/showthread.php?tid=25176)

Master Cook Software - esgunn - 11-16-2006

A couple of notes and a couple of questions.

Reviews I read said there wasn't much difference from V8 to V9 at least in capabilities. One thing I noticed but I am not sure it is correct - Amazon listed V8 as working with Windows XP/ME/98 and V9 only on Windows XP. A real problem if you are not on XP. Anyone with V9 found it works on anything other than XP?

Question: How do you all organize your cookbooks. Can you seperate out the included cookbooks out into another view - or do you just Label them so your cookbooks come up first? My cookbooks all fall into the middle of list and I would like it if I saw them first. I like having the others to search sometimes - but most of the time I don't use them.

Any other great tips or shortcuts you have run across using the software?

Re: Master Cook Software - cjs - 11-16-2006

Erin, hopefully Billy (or someone equally versed...) will come by and help with the technical side of things.

As far as the cookbook titles go, I also wanted them to show up first when entering the program, so I titled like this

001/Family Favorites
002/Catering
003/Fundraiser Dinners
etc.

Anxious to hear of other's ideas. I don't know the differences between 8 and 9, just know 9 is a heck of a lot easier for me to use and manipulate than any of the previous versions.

Re: Master Cook Software - bjcotton - 11-16-2006

My MC9 installation disc says nothing about any particular operating system. As a matter of fact, I have it installed in Windows 95.

I took the the first cookbook that came with MC9 [American Lamb] and renamed it to "X American Lamb" so that it went to the very bottom of the list.

My own cookbooks I labelled as: A Bill's, B Family Favorits, etc. If one of the preinstalled cookbooks fell into that lettering, I just renamed it to get it out of the way. On my laptop I deleted all of the preinstalled cookbooks.

Re: Master Cook Software - coco hernandez - 11-17-2006

I have an IBook (Mac). Will Master Cook work with a Mac?

Re: Master Cook Software - bjcotton - 11-17-2006

You will have to have a version specific to MAC, it will not run the Windows version.

Re: Master Cook Software - HMin - 11-18-2006

Putting one or more *s in front of the cookbook name will also make it fall first alphabetically.

Something I have done for years in Mastercook has been to create special categories to use. I have Holiday-Thanksgiving, Holiday-Christmas, etc. In addition to categorizing a recipe as entrée, veggie, dessert or such, I’ll also put it in the category for the holiday(s) where I make it year after year.

When I start planning I simply do a search for the holiday and pull up a list of all the recipes that I usually make each year. I'll make any changes to the menu that I’ve decided on and then scale the recipes to how many I am cooking for this time around. Once I do that it is very easy to create a shopping list for all of the recipes, print it and take it to my pantry where I cross off what I don’t need. From there I’ll update the list and take the revised one to the store.

Don't have the yearly indexes of recipes and tired of looking through stacks of magazines to find a recipe you wanted to make? Don't remember if you tried a recipe and whether or not you liked it?

Upon receiving a new issue of one of the 3 cooking magazines I get, I always used to go through and write which recipes I wanted to try and tuck a paper between pages or stick it to the front. Now I enter these into MC as new ‘recipes’ and put the publication, issue and page # of the recipe in the description field (i.e. – CAH-June 06, pg. ___). In addition to standard categories offered in MC, I will mark 2 that I created – Magazines-To Try and CAH(or other)-To Try. When I want to find a recipe I remember, I do a category search by the publication name if I know it, or by magazines if I don’t. When the search results are complete I only have to find the recipe I want and in MC9 when I highlight the recipe name I can see the description category showing which publication and issue I need to take out, and which page to go to for the recipe.

When I make the recipe if I decide I don’t like it, I simply delete the ‘recipe’ from MC. If I like it, I edit the categories from ‘to try’ to ‘favorites’ and add in the notes section any notes I may have of my own.

Yes, it can be a lot of work setting up if you have a lot of magazines, but I have found it to be a timesaver in the long run as I no longer pull out stacks of magazines looking for a specific recipe.

Re: Master Cook Software - bjcotton - 11-19-2006

HMin, that's about the same thing I do. If a recipe interests me I put it in MC [I have some 1700 I'd like to try]. Once I try it I move it to a keepers cookbook if I liked it or delete it if I don't. I use post-its to mark the ones I want.

Re: Master Cook Software - esgunn - 11-19-2006

Great Tips! Thanks.