Cuisine at home Forums
Deep Fried Turkey - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Deep Fried Turkey (/showthread.php?tid=25194)

Deep Fried Turkey - wheatleyp1 - 11-17-2006

I am looking for a new recipe for injecting my turkey that I will be deep frying. The one I have used previously was more of a Cajun base with hot sauce, onion juice, garlic, etc. Doe anyone have a favorite recipe for injecting that they have used? Please share.

Thank you...PW

Re: Deep Fried Turkey - cjs - 11-17-2006

Afraid I can't be of help - the one time we deep fried a turkey (after buying all the equipment... ), we didn't inject just deep fried.

Anyone want to buy a once used.......

Re: Deep Fried Turkey - Lorraine - 11-17-2006

Sorry I can't help, either. I brine mine, but have never injected them. I have heard that the marinade leaks out, darkens and flavours the oil, limiting it to one time use.

Re: Deep Fried Turkey - Mare749 - 11-17-2006

Sorry, I can't help either. We have done a few of these and never injected them. We thought the whole thing was more trouble than it was worth, so much easier to just roast the turkey or put it on the rotisserie.

Aren't most turkeys injected with broth or something anyway?

Re: Deep Fried Turkey - Lorraine - 11-17-2006

We've been buying fresh free range turkeys. Nothing in them but lots of taste!!!

Re: Deep Fried Turkey - VegasDramaQueen - 11-17-2006

I have heard and read a lot about deep fried turkeys but never made one myself. A friend made one recently and invited me for dinner. It was about the driest, tasteless turkey I've ever eaten. I know he fried the bejeebies out of it and kept it in the pot waaay too long because I've heard nothing but raves about deep fried turkey. Has anyone else had a bad experience with deep frying turkeys? No one that I know of injects them but they do brine them.
I had the family over last night for a Showtime Rotisserie turkey and it was delicious. Very moist and had a great flavor. The color was a beautiful deep golden brown and the skin was very crisp but, I still like oven turkeys the best. You get more great dark drippings for gravy and the turkey just tastes sooooo good.

Re: Deep Fried Turkey - Roxanne 21 - 11-17-2006

I've never done or had a deep fried turkey. I don't mean to be offensive but what is the benefit of deep frying?? We really love our oven roasted bird---moist, tender and--well, you all know the rest!!

Doesn't the turkey come out all kinds of greasy??
What would you use for drippings for gravy// Do you still do stuffing?? NAH!!! Guess I'm old-fashioned----

Re: Deep Fried Turkey - pjcooks - 11-17-2006

My ex-husband bought a turkey fryer one year. He said it was the best turkey he had ever eatten. However, it's back in the box, never to be used again-he spent most of an afternoon cleaning it with a steam cleaner, and decided oven roasting was just fine, thank you very much.

Glad I wasn't there for that experiment!

PJ

Re: Deep Fried Turkey - Roxanne 21 - 11-17-2006

OH---soo, you need a special piece of equipment too??? Sounds like too much trouble to be worth the effort---IMHO!!

Re: Deep Fried Turkey - pjcooks - 11-17-2006

Roxanne, he said it wasn't greasy at all. When turkey fryers first bcame popular, several years ago, we had a few house fires here in town-people would use it inside and walk away from it. At the time, he was the fire chief here in town, so he knew to keep it outside and well away from anything combustible, but decided it was just too much effort.

PJ