Cuisine at home Forums
I'm looking for a pork pie recipe - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe (/showthread.php?tid=25291)

Pages: 1 2

Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe - vannin - 11-19-2006

A good pork pie is a treasure indeed. I understood it to be made from a hot water pastry 'built' up to a smaller pie, but higher. Shane is an expert in these things, he used to go on pork pie expoditions with his grandfather, the Rev. Bertram George Kelly, otherwise known as Horg. Neither of them knew how to make a pork pie, neither do I. But they were fine connisures (sp) of that magnificent product. Of course, that all took place in the Isle of Man, 50 + years ago. He was 93 then.

Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe - pjcooks - 11-19-2006

"Pork pie expeditions" : Sounds like a pretty good life!

The "hot water pastry built up to a smaller pie" sounds interesting, I'm trying to visualize.... but I'm drawing a blank...

PJ

Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe - Lorraine - 11-20-2006

I'll post some recipes for you tonight.

Posted! And now I just reread the original request, and you wanted something without the crust. Off to dig out the cretons recipe!

Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe - pjcooks - 11-20-2006

Thank you Lorraine! So, (I suppose I should know this, but I don't) - what is the difference between the two?

PJ

The cretons is a potted dish. We usually eat it on toast in the morning. Many Montreal restaurants will serve it n a ramekin at breakfast, along with another ramekin of baked beans. I'm looking for a recipe I made last spring, hopefully I'll find it tonight.