Cuisine at home Forums
Turkey, Turkey, Turkey - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Turkey, Turkey, Turkey (/showthread.php?tid=25304)

Turkey, Turkey, Turkey - esgunn - 11-19-2006

Sorry if this has already been posted - just please point me to the post! I am hosting Thanksgiving this year and we brined our turkey for the first time last year - thought it was absolutely delicious. BUT - thought the gravey turned out a little on the salty side - good, but a little salty. My mom and sister will be here and they are probably even more picky than me on the saltyness.

Do you have a brining recipe you like for your turkey? This is the recipe I used last year - I don't remember what day I brined on - but I know I took it out, rinsed and let sit overnight in the refer on Wed.

1 gallon of cool, water. 1 cup of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt (if using Morton’s Kosher salt, use 3/4 cup) 1/2 cup of white or brown sugar

Pour the mixture over the turkey and refrigerate.

Additional spice and seasoning suggestions: Add any or all of the following to your brine mixture: bay leaves, juniper berries, black pepper corns, dried thyme, and garlic cloves.

How many days do you brine? I have a 17lb turkey for 8 adults and 3 kids - want leftovers and there will be 4 big eaters.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Turkey, Turkey, Turkey - cjs - 11-19-2006

Your brine ratio is similar to mine - for every qt. of cold water, 1/4 c. kosher, 2 T. brown sugar & 2 T. granulated sugar, plus whatever herbs/spices. I brine a turkey overnight then rinse thoroughly. I can only suggest making sure the bird is rinsed very well, other than that, don't know why you would have an over-salted product. Did you add much salt to the gravy as you were making it maybe?