Cuisine at home Forums
Miserable ..... - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Miserable ..... (/showthread.php?tid=25395)

Miserable ..... - Bizymomma - 11-20-2006

I've started eating a little different lately. At 36 yrs. old, I've recently found out that I am in peri-menopause. It's got me all jacked up! LOL So I ditched the butter, and the sugar, and the white rice,...not to mention Taco Bell, Mc'Ds, trans fats, and processed foods. Walking 30 minutes a day. I miss cooking C@H food sooo bad. Once I get to where I feel I'm more disciplined, I will try fixing some of the recipes and just try to alter the ingredients to make them healthier.

I'm still on the site, reading what you guys post, but feel I have nothing to contribute. *weeps* LOL Unless you are interested in 100 different ways to fix brown rice and whole wheat pasta! LOL

On a lighter note.....I am amazed at all the new names! I kind of thought it might happen tho with the holidays upon us, people are surfing looking for ideas!

Re: Miserable ..... - esgunn - 11-20-2006

Oh Angela, I am sorry about the medical issues. I am sure the new diet is helping you to feel better- in body at least - maybe not in the mind. This year at 40 I found out that I am pre-diabetic. A result of family history egged on by complications from my multiple pregnancy.

I find I have to pick and choose whick C@H dishes I do cook. Mostly I leave out the pasta/potatoes/rice that is suggested in the dish. Almost any chicken dish I will make. We have gotten used to not having those things to soak up the sauce and we still really enjoy the protien and really good flavors.

Good luck and hang in there.

Re: Miserable ..... - Roxanne 21 - 11-20-2006

Angela---life does NOT alter because of "peri-menopause" (what is THAT???) We all go through these changes (YES GUYS---even you !!!)

I went through a very early menopuase as well---did not change my life style AT ALL!!! Continue with the exercise and the Premarin (or whatever your MD put you on) and if you follow everything with moderation all is okay!!!

I hope this will not offend you--but---many times it is mind over matter---DON'T let this little glitch in our life cycle change who and what you are!!! TOO many more GREAT years for you to enjoy---and cooking is part of that!!!

You will always have a contribution--even if it's a concern!!!

Re: Miserable ..... - bjcotton - 11-20-2006

Don't I know us guys go through it too! Hot flashes [power surges], mood swings, etc.

Since I was diagnosed with diabetes, the only thing I have changed is the quantity of things I eat. I still use butter, sugar, potatoes, rice, etc. I did find that I like the whole wheat pasta better than the other kind. It doesn't take as much to fill you, it is better for you and it cooks quicker. Last night I experienced my first low blood sugar experience at night...thought I was having a hot flash and a mood swing again. It was darned cold in my room, but I kicked off the covers and sheet, I was shaking, nervous, etc. I finally got out of bed and realized what was happening. So I ate one of those small candy bars, went back to bed and slept like I was dead!

Re: Miserable ..... - TwilightKitten - 11-20-2006

Angela, I felt the same way when I made my diet change (no flour, no sugar---I LOVE flour and sugar!!!)...I felt like I couldn't really participate either...but I got over that.
Oh, and I would be VERY interested in 100 ways to fix brown rice!

Re: Miserable ..... - cjs - 11-20-2006

I can always use healthy recipes - so when you find some you especially like - PLEASE post them!!

Re: Miserable ..... - Bizymomma - 11-20-2006

Thanks for the positive posts guys! Other than having to change clothes in the middle of the night a couple of times a week, I'm doing okay. I guess it's just made me realize that I haven't been taking as good of care of my body as I should be. Medical problems, disease, sickness do not discriminate against age. I need to do more to ensure that I live as healthy as I can!

Re: Miserable ..... - DFen911 - 11-20-2006

Ok being pre-menopausal, having a diabetic father in law, a father who has very high cholesterol I've learned to cook with many different styles to suit the needs of those I'm cooking for.

Portion control is your biggest friend. Learn them and live by them. You can use butter, but use it in moderation (Paula Dean is hating me right now), sugar I use Splenda for FIL and husband, but I've learn to use less of the real stuff for me. It's a matter of retraining your taste buds.

I've learned more about carb servings than I ever thought I would or could. Do keep in mind that it is not healthy, particularly for women, to cut out carbs entirely.

Keep your eye on prize! Your health is something only you can give yourself

And share the ideas and recipes you come up with. You may inspire others who have a fear of taking the plunge suddenly find out it's something they can do.

Re: Miserable ..... - Bizymomma - 11-20-2006

I've started "YOU: On a Diet" by Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen. I don't really like calling it a diet because you don't starve to death. It's basically just eating fresh fruit, veggie, chicken, and fish. Here are a couple of recipes that the family has really enjoyed so far:

MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN AND HERBED WHITE BEANS
2 servings

What's In It for You
(per serving)

Daily calories 567
Total fat (g) 19.2
Saturated fat (g) 3.1
Healthy fats (g) 15
Fiber (g) 15.2
Carbohydrates (g) 67.4
Sugar (g) 5.1
Protein (g) 34.4
Sodium (mg) 313
Calcium (mg) 243
Magnesium (mg) 171
Selenium (mcg) 14.3
Potassium (mg) 1715

Chicken ingredients:
2 bone-in chicken thighs without skin
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
8 pitted calamata olives, halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
1 small bunch fresh basil, chopped

Bean Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (15 or 16 ounces) white beans, rinsed and drained
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh mixed herbs, your choice
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper (optional)

For chicken, heat oven to 375F. Place each chicken thigh on a large square of aluminum foil. Combine remaining chicken ingredients; spoon over chicken. Fold foil up and over chicken sealing edges forming a packet. Bake 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Meanwhile, for beans, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; cook 5 minutes or until heated through. Carefully open chicken packets and transfer mixture to two serving plates; serve beans alongside chicken.

Source: YOU: On a Diet

AND:

APRICOT CHICKEN & GREEN BEANS WITH ALMOND SLIVERS
2 servings

What's In It for You
(per serving)

Daily calories 430
Total fat (g) 22
Saturated fat (g) 2.8
Healthy fats (g) 18.1
Fiber (g) 4.6
Carbohydrates (g) 25
Sugar (g) 3.5
Protein (g) 32.7
Sodium (mg) 89
Calcium (mg) 95
Magnesium (mg) 100
Selenium (mcg) 22.4
Potassium (mg) 813

Chicken Ingredients:
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each)
4 dried apricots, chopped
2 tablespoons white wine
2 shallots, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Green Bean Ingredients:
1 cup thin green beans
3 shallots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon wine vinegar
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1/4 cup slivered almonds
Salt and pepper (optional)

For chicken, heat oven to 375F. Place chicken in glass baking dish. Saute remaining ingredients together until tender; transfer to blender (or food processor) and puree. Spoon over chicken and bake until chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, for beans, steam or blanch beans until tender but still firm and bright green. Sauté shallots in olive oil, vinegar and maple syrup until translucent. Add almonds and brown slightly; toss with beans. Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired. Serve alongside chicken.

Source: YOU: On a Diet

Re: Miserable ..... - vannin - 11-20-2006

Some good advice here Angela. Be best not to follow 'nutter' fad dietary trends and traps. Eat as you would normally. To much of anything is not good. Portion control is probably central, as Denise says, but Billy has some very very good advice too.