Cuisine at home Forums
Stock virgin - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Stock virgin (/showthread.php?tid=25567)

Stock virgin - Bizymomma - 11-22-2006

LOL!!! You guys will be proud of me.....I made my first batch of turkey stock! yyyiiiipppeeee!! I roasted two turkey breasts for Sage's 2nd grade class, so I threw the meat deprived bones in some water, carrots, onions, celery, bay leaves, and peppercorns and boiled for a couple of hours. I then strained it thru a fine mesh colander and simmered it again until it reduced by 1/4. It's a beautiful butter color..and it tates so wonderful!! All it needs is some noodles and chunks of turkey and I'll have a wonderful soup! Thanks to you guys.... I probably would have never tried this. By the way, I ended up with 8 cups of stock that I stuck in baggies in 1 cup increments and froze!

Re: Stock virgin - Mare749 - 11-22-2006

Good for you, Angela! You'll be hooked now. Homemade stock is wonderful. I make soup all winter, usually a big pot every week. Great comfort food.

Re: Stock virgin - bjcotton - 11-22-2006

Yeah, now that you've got that down pat, you'll be making all kinds of reductions, pestos, marinaras, etc. There'll be no stopping you!

Re: Stock virgin - cjs - 11-23-2006

...and it will just keep getting better and better!!

Re: Stock virgin - vannin - 11-23-2006

Good for you Angela, I am so proud of you. We will be be doing a Christmas Party for 85 vets tomorrow week, I sure will Have a lot of turkey carcasses and a big ham bone to use.

Re: Stock virgin - wheatleyp1 - 11-28-2006

Angela congrats...sounds wonderful. I never thought about freezing the stock, good idea. I contacted the Farmer's Market here in Atlanta and asked for the Turkey backs. They were cutting fresh turkeys that day and gave me several turkey backs. I added some turkey necks with celery, onion, bayleaf, carrots and a little parsley and made a great turkey stock. This is the first year I made my gravy ahead using this stock. I made a rue (sp?) of flour and a little butter and added the stock and seasoned it with some sage, poultry seasoning and a little salt and pepper. It was not quite as brown as I wanted it so I added some Kitchen Bouquet to darken it some. Once the turkey was done I took some of the drippings and whisked it into this gravy and it was magnificent. I took some of the meat off the back and neck and added to the gravy. Yummy. I am usually rushing at the end to make the gravy and it was nice to have it done ahead of time. I had some stock left over and never thought to freeze it.

Re: Stock virgin - Old Bay - 11-28-2006

If you lightly brown the bones in the oven and then put them in the water--leave the outer skin on the onions and quarter them--do the other vegis as you did you will get a richer darker stock.

Try some beef stock next--my favorite-- brown the bones in the oven for about two hours--add quartered onions , carrots,celery and caramalize about 45 min more. Put in water and simmer for a couple of hours--it will make the best onion soup you ever tasted.

Re: Stock virgin - dollop - 11-29-2006

I think a stock is a beautiful thing and gives the cook such a lovely base to buid from! Stocks are seldom done by the "home cook" now and it is a shame. Homemade stocks are so worth the effort.

Re: Stock virgin - cjs - 11-29-2006

Boy, do I agree!! Last summer I posted how to do a corn stock also - it's so good added to soups, rice, risotto, or any of the grains, in the winter. Maybe we'll drag it out again next corn season.