Cuisine at home Forums
Do you own a digital kitchen scale? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? (/showthread.php?tid=25693)

Do you own a digital kitchen scale? - Mare749 - 11-27-2006

I've been wanting to buy one, but there are so many to choose from. Any recommends?

Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? - DFen911 - 11-27-2006

I'll pull the article that was on C@H a few issues back. It's on their members plus site if you have access to that. If not PM me with your email and I'll send you a PDF version of the article.

Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? - cjs - 11-27-2006

I have one I love - just looked for the brand and all it says is "Thinner" ??????? It lasted thru school, the hotel kitchen and now here at home and it's still weighing....

Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? - Roxanne 21 - 11-27-2006

I have a Krups and it has served me well for 15 years---I haven't changed a battery yet. It has large numbers with gram increments up to 2 kilos---2.2 pounds. A handy little container for measuring came along with it. Whatever style you choose---you will love it. One of my most trusted helpers in the kitchen, for sure!!!

Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? - pjcooks - 11-27-2006

I have a Soehnle that I've had for about 16 yrs and love. I use it constantly. It's on the smallish side, though, I think, but it's served all of my needs. Reads "Max 2000g (4lbs 6 oz)". I recently changed the original batteries it came with all those years ago. Don't remember where I got it- King Arthur (Bakers Catalog)? William Sonoma? Kitchen Etc?

While I love the balance scale I had access to at my last job, it just wasn't practical for home use. Digital's the way to go.

PJ

Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? - Mare749 - 11-27-2006

Thanks PJ, actually that brings me to my next question. What size for the home cook? Some that I have looked at go up to 11 lbs. or more. I can't think of what I would actually use that for. Right now I use an inaccurate cheapie to weigh out 4, 8, or 16 oz. and that's about it. But I want a more accurate scale that includes grams as well as ounces.

Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? - vannin - 11-27-2006

I have a little dig. one that has served me well over the years. It does lbs and ozs, and gms & kilo. Not that it matters much, I was working in obstetrics when the change to dec. came in 1967, July 10th. So I can do either, it makes no difference to my brain, such as it is. I also have a 50 kg job we use for heavy things, with 100gm increments, that is about 3 and half oz. we also have an old metric one like they used to have in green grocers. It is very pretty I think.

Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? - Roxanne 21 - 11-28-2006

I mail ordered one of those Soenhles (? SPELLING) for my Mom when she was required to measure all of her food for her diets---it has been a wonderful addition to her medical/nutrition care. There are some nice ones available in the Chef's Catalogue--you might get a good deal on shipping now, too! The readout is great and measures in oz and gms. I don't think the home cook needs more than a 5 pound capability---IMHO.

Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? - bjcotton - 11-28-2006

The one I have, a Salter, was recommended last year by Cook's illustrated, Taste of Home and I think CAH. It goes up to 11 pounds and I use it both in the kitchen and in Fredia's business to mail packages. I do our mailing online with the USPS and most of them go Priority Mail. To do that I have to know how much the packages weigh. That's why I'm glad it goes up to 11 pounds.

Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? - Mare749 - 11-28-2006

Billy, I am so glad you mentioned that. I hate standing in line at the post office when I want to mail a package, although I never mail anything that weighs 11 lbs. I think I want the one that C@H recommends.