Cuisine at home Forums
What do I want for Christmas? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: What do I want for Christmas? (/showthread.php?tid=25705)

What do I want for Christmas? - carolekv - 11-27-2006

Any ideas of things that someone who loves to cook should definitely have on his/her Christmas wish list?

Re: What do I want for Christmas? - Mare749 - 11-27-2006

I just added a digital kitchen scale to mine. I'm going to look at 2 that were recommended. For my birthday in May, the kids got me a new vegetable steamer and I still use it several times a week. Highly recommend that.

I have a set of rubber spatulas by Cuisinart that are absolutely worth the money. They don't melt when used for cooking, and two of them have a nice curved edge like a spoon.

Re: What do I want for Christmas? - cjs - 11-27-2006

Carole, if you don't have it already, I really recommend the book "Culinary Artistry" - and please don't let the title intimidate anyone!! It's a book that helps cooks put flavors together. Just about anything you want to cook, there will be ideas for herbs, spices, fruits, cheeses, etc. that go well with a particular food.

It is a wonderful book. By Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page

I'm just now putting together a list, so far only CDs on it...

Re: What do I want for Christmas? - bjcotton - 11-27-2006

I'll second a digital kitchen scale. Let's see, I've got a Misto that I use often to mist panini with and if I just want a little oil to cook with it works great, the rubber spatulas mentioned, a small pressure cooker, oh, there's lots of things I "just can't do without."

Re: What do I want for Christmas? - pjcooks - 11-27-2006

Let's see, trying to think of all those things I use almost daily-

Microplane cheese graters, fine, coarse , and ribbon is fun

A biggie, but my KA stand mixer

Good quality dippers (cookie scoops) in various sizes

Bulk order of parchment paper (can no longer live without, when I ran out and had to buy the grocery store roll, darn near fainted [at the price])

Roux whisk (good for everything from roux to pan sauces to dribbling icing)

Silpat (Never used it for baking, it makes a wonderful surface for rolled cookies [gently, it's fiberglass]and rolls w/o flouring the board)

A great corkscrew (Ok, maybe more for the cook than the cooking)

Heat resistant spatulas, all sizes and shapes

A good bread knife, 10"chef's and paring knives- I've recently stored my Wusthoft's and Henckles in favor of Forschners, of all things

Mandolin- I had a $30 cheapie I bought 15 years ago and it works just as well as the $160 pro one my boyfriend bought me 5 years ago. (What do you want for Christmas? A mandolin. I didn't know you knew how to play the mandolin. I straightened him out)

A large Pyrex fat separator with a mesh strainer top.

Those are my immediate thoughts, some big, some little.

Oh, a big stainless steel stockpot with a clear cover is nice, too.

PJ

Re: What do I want for Christmas? - bjcotton - 11-27-2006

Oh yeah, I forgot those microplanes. You say there is a ribbon one? I've got the fine and coarse, love those things. I do garlic and fresh ginger, zest citrus. Since I was introduced, whining and screaming, to real Parm. Reg., I use it on all kinds of things and have gotten several friends to throw away the green cans.

Re: What do I want for Christmas? - pjcooks - 11-27-2006

Billy, I think it's a KitchenAid, nope, just checked, it doesn't say anything on the handle, but it makes long, 1/8 inch wide shreds. Wonder where I picked this one up?

Parm Reg is great, isn't it? I save the rinds to throw in a soup or sauce while it's simmering.

PJ

Re: What do I want for Christmas? - foodfiend - 11-27-2006

Quote:

Bulk order of parchment paper (can no longer live without, when I ran out and had to buy the grocery store roll, darn near fainted [at the price])

PJ

Please, tell me at what type of store I would find bulk parchment? Thanks!

Re: What do I want for Christmas? - cjs - 11-28-2006

You can find parchment at Smart & Final/Cash & Carry or any professional kitchen warehouse/store. The sheets are 16 3/8 X 24 3/8" and it weighs 25# - the number of sheets in the box is torn off, but it is in the 1,000s. It's a great product to have on hand.

Re: What do I want for Christmas? - Roxanne 21 - 11-28-2006

I second all of the above!!! I have most of those items and working on the others--as I can find them. Another tool I absolutely love is a mini food processor---really handy when small quantities are needed, great time saver and saves on the mess!
Those microplane graters are the BEST!!!