Cuisine at home Forums
Lesson Learned - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Lesson Learned (/showthread.php?tid=25783)

Lesson Learned - wheatleyp1 - 11-28-2006

I learned about brining from this forum last year and I have not done it since then just because I am so busy and I travel every week. However, I decided I would brine my turkey again this week and purchased a wonderful turkey brine mix from Williams-Sonoma. I boiled the contents for the brine had cleaned my turkey and was ready to complete the process when it dawned on me that I bought a frozen ButterBall Turkey as opposed to a fresh one and I vaguely remembered in my teachings from the forum that a fresh turkey was required for brining. I quickly called the ButterBall Hotline, which was great by the way, and she told me the frozen ButterBalls are already injected, brined in a way and not to brine a frozen one because it would be too salty. Thank goodness I did not make that snaffu. My saving grace was I had also bought some of the Herbs de Provence, so I went to plan B and used that seasoning and it was wonderful. I placed the turkey breast side down in a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes and then turned it breast up and lowered the temp to 325 degrees basting with butter to start then the pan juices afterwards. I also use an electronic temp monitor for the first time which was wonderful. This was one of the most beautiful and tasty turkey's I have ever done. We also fried one which was fantastic as well. They both went with very little leftovers.

I am trying to convince my family to forgo the turkey for Christmas this year because I want to do a Standing Rib Roast and a Ham, but they have not relinquished the turkey yet.

Pam

Re: Lesson Learned - bjcotton - 11-28-2006

I tried that with my family Pam, their response was, "Oh great, we can have that in addition to the turkey!" They were NOT giving up that turkey!

Re: Lesson Learned - cjs - 11-28-2006

Whew! Aren't you just glad you had the presence of mind to call butterball peoples?? Congratulations on your Plan B and that you were happy with the results.

It's hard to mess with the traditions of holidays, isn't it?

Re: Lesson Learned - pjcooks - 11-28-2006

Wheatleyp1,

Aren't you glad there's a lot of knowledge floating around here? The people here have helped me out more than once.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong (CRS, ask Billy) but a big welcome if you are new!

PJ

Give them both - lxxf - 11-28-2006

I always do a standing rib at Christmas and when I can get the whole clan together (regretably not often enough as 4 kids are in 4 different states), and I serve a smoked turkey, too. The smoked turkey doesn't require cooking, and it's great for all kinds of leftovers.